1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heartworm symptoms..

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by cama, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cama

cama Boxer Booster

This is not about our Boxer, who is healthy as a horse, but about a stray we have taken in (I posted about her in the Other Pets forum).

In any case, I know through a vet check that she has heartworms - not sure how long she's had them. She had puppies 3.5 weeks ago, and they are well, but yesterday I noticed that Sass (the mom) seemed a bit more lethargic than usual and is stumbling from time to time. She definitely seems off-balance. Even this morning, she jumped up to greet me and when she came down on her front paws, she went down. She does seem to have more energy today and is eating normally.

Any thoughts on what could be happening and if these symptoms are heartworm-related? Thanks in advance.

Charlene

2. SammynDqtz

SammynDqtz Boxer Insane

Yes, that could be a sign of the heartworms esp. if they've been there a while. :(
    Is she coughing or short of breath at all? I heard that's the most common.
    Poor baby... hope she's gonna be ok

3. cama

cama Boxer Booster

Thanks for replying. No, she's not coughing or having other "book" symptoms of heartworms. My husband thinks maybe she's just drained from the puppies always sucking on her. I'm giving her lots of time away from them and also started feeding them a little food. She seems a bit better, so I'm going to continue to keep an eye on her.

Charlene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.