1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heart murmer supplements

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by TossBranAbi, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Hello all! It has been quite some time since I've been around here and I see many new names but still recognize a handful of you. I have a question and there is no better place than BW for answers.

Anyhow, my Abbie girl was to the vet and she was diagnosed with a murmer, graded a 3. I asked the vet what we could do to prevent it from getting worse and he said lets just take the wait and see approach and once it gets worse, we will start on a prescription. I prefer the more natural approach and have read many instances where murmers lessened with supplements, specifically CoQ10, Hawthorne and Ribose.

Does anyone here have any experience with using supplements to decrease the severity of a murmer? Recommended doses?

I don't like the "wait until it gets worse then we will treat it" approach and I want to do something to try to prevent it from getting worse, or at least at a slower rate. Unfortunately we don't have vets around here that take the natural approach, my favorite vet moved and since then I get criticized for not vaccinating and feeding RAW bones and not feeding Science Diet food.

Any help you all could provide, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Did you see a cardiologist? The biggest thing with heart murmers is to figure out what is causing them- then you can treat that. Unfortunately, our boxers are so prone to heart conditions- but a murmur can end up being benign too.

I dont' see anything wrong with adding those supplements to help support heart function. I'd definitely recommend an echo to figure out why she has the murmur (esp a grade 3). Hope she is ok. :)

3. Roxiesmommy

Roxiesmommy Boxer Pal

Supplements

My Boxer had a heart murmur and lived to be 10 years old. We just put her down today. She had Degenerative Myelopathy. The heart murmur didn't affect her at all during her life. I gave her fish oil and flax seed oil.
    The doctor I went to wanted to do a sonogram on her. I felt that if she was showing no signs of having a heart murmur. Then there are no reasons to do tests that would upset my dog. So she went 10 years without a test for her heart and on fish oil and flax seed oil. She lived a great life. Only went to the doctors for check ups and weed removal (always from her nose).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.