Heading to San Francisco for Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Ok dh and I are heading out to SF for a short visit with his daughter over the Thanksgiving Weekend. We have booked and evening tour of Alcatraz, and are planning to see China town. My husband is afraid of heights and bridges so walking across the Golden Gate is out of the question. Does anyone have any suggestions on some "must sees"? We are going to be staying near fisherman's wharf and do the cable car as well.

joeys mom

Boxer Insane
Lombard street... I am sure you will be right there at it since you are staying near fisherman's wharf but it is a great photo spot to share with everyone. It is such a popular tourist spot. I lived near SF for 3 years and went down this street many times but never took a picture and so badly wish I had :) Even though you wont walk the golde gate you can take a nice pic with it in the background. I am big on pictures, they capture the moment forever!

Union Square is also a great place to visit.

Union Square Shopping, Dining & Travel Guide - San Francisco Shopping

Enjoy your trip!

entelekia

Super Boxer
Welcome (in advance)!

Union Square is great. While you're at Fisherman's Wharf don't forget to get all the way down to Ghirardelli Square.

Other things in SF:

- California Academy of Science (San Francisco Aquarium, Planetarium and Natural History Museum | California Academy of Sciences) an excellent museum which is right in front of the Japanese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park. You can easily spend a day doing both (hope the weather cooperates). If you still have some time, the DeYoung museum (de Young Museum | de Young Museum) is very nearby.

- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA)) and Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (Yerba Buena Gardens District - Neighborhood | Yerba Buena Center for the Arts) they are in front of each other, in walking distance from Union Square.

- Exploratorium (Exploratorium: the museum of science, art and human perception) and Palace of Fine Arts (Welcome).

Do you guys want to explore further by any chance? If so, check out a day bus tour to Napa - there are several and most hit about 3-5 wineries in one day. Over the GG bridge is Marin county; Sausalito and Tiburon are beautiful towns worth exploring; there's also Muir Woods park (beautiful redwoods). On the east bay there is Telegraph Ave and Cal Berkeley (always a sight), there's also Tilden Park and Redwood Regional (if hiking is your thing).

There are also, of course, TONS of absolutely amazing restaurants everywhere, so if you guys are foodies, let me know what you like and I can suggest some spots.

You will have a great time! :)

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Thank you! We did Lombard street last time. We were in for just a couple of days then too, but it was for Tami's graduation from UC Davis so we were booked do ing other things. I really want to to the Exploratorium. It just sounds fun. I run the reat past dh. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.