1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He suddenly stopped eating

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by PedeysMommy, Sep 16, 2014.

1. PedeysMommy

PedeysMommy Boxer Pal

My six month old boxer has always been a great eater. We feed him blue buffalo wilderness for large breed puppies. The bag says he should be eating around four cups a day so we do two in the morning and two at night.
    Ever since my in laws got a dog (a three month old Weimaraner) pedey hasn't been eating like himself. We've been tested for parasites and have come up negative. The other puppy lives upstairs and they play once in a while outside or she will come downstairs. I don't know if he is depressed? It worries me. And many times it's inconsistent-some days he will eat all of his food slowly but surely and other days he will barely eat two cups.
    I'm really worried. I know he likes his food and I don't know if this is stubborn boxer behavior or if something is truly wrong. Has anyone has has this happen when a new dog was introduced???

2. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

Rocky did something similar a few months ago. He was so distracted and in to what the kitties were doing, sometimes he wouldn't eat his evening meal. I know my boy loves to eat and as much as he runs and plays it started worrying me that he wasn't eating enough. We ending switching brands, twice, and now he eats without issue. Sometimes we make his food soft by mixing it with warm water. He especially loves it that way. It must be the aromas brought out by doing that, plus it makes a little gravy which he likes. It's also a change from the norm which I think a Rocky enjoys as well.

I think in large part it was a change in his environment (adopting the kitties) that he wasn't eating normally. If I put him outside with his food in the morning because he hadn't eaten by the time I had to leave for work, he would always eat it up.

3. brodieboxer

brodieboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

On a dog food forum I'm a member of, there have been some problems reported about BB going rancid too early lately. You may try switching kibble, and see if that helps.

4. Bathel

Bathel Super Boxer

Or just buy a smaller bag, you should use up your whole bag within 6 weeks of opening; I prefer every 4 weeks.

Also, storage should be kept in the original bag... and then put in a air tight storage container. DO NOT put kibble directly into a plastic container as the residual left behind will go rancid and spoil the next batch.

brodieboxer likes this.
  5. PedeysMommy

PedeysMommy Boxer Pal

We go through a new bag about every four weeks and it's kept in the original bag. So the whole bag could be expired is what you're saying? That's awful! What kind of food does everyone else use?

6. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

That might have been part of our problem with BB. He also had loose stool about 1/2 the time which found to be an issue for us. Now Rocky eats Victor, which he does very well on.