He Rang The Bell !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
I nearly fell out of my chair! I didn't think Rider would be able to "get" bell training because he couldn't hear the bell. But lo and behold, today I'm sitting at the table, drinking my coffee. The lawn guy was next door (the dogs love Randy) doing my neighbor's yard and he had his little weenie dog with him. Rider was at the door looking out and he turned around, and RANG THE BELL! I was stunned! He looked at me and I immediately gave him the "thumbs up" signal for "good boy" and opened the door. Out he ran to meet the little weenie dog and run the fence with it.

I know he's watched Maggie & Susie ring the bell to go out or come in, as I've watched him watching them do it, but never suspected he would make the association on his own. What an incredible boy!

And see, I was dumb to think my boy wouldn't get bell training because he is deaf. Goes to show, there are no dumb dogs; only dumb owners! :o :o

Last edited:

ljnash

Boxer Insane
What a smart boy you have!! He must pay closer attention to what Maggie and Susie do because he is deaf, than he would if he were a hearing dog.

But, I would have thought like you, Dan, that he probably wouldn't catch on to the bell training since he can't hear. What a smart boy he is to watch his big sisters and you so well, and make the associations that he does. It's very interesting to discover how he learns.

Lenore

jray

Boxer Insane
WOOWOO!!! Rider, good boy!!! cool2icon

Dan it's amazing what they pick up and learn. My friend has a deaf Australian cattle dog and what she has learned is unbelieveable! He uses all hand signals and she responds, it's truly amazing!

Jenny & Oskar

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
DING!!!

Good Boy Rider!! I think by the time you get raised you will have taught your dad a thing or two about deaf dogs ;)

Dan, I can only imagine your surprise and pride of Rider!! It is amazing what these furkids learn just through observation. I would imagine to makeup for his deafness Rider has had to rely on his sense of observation to learn how the world works.

I probably don't need to give you these links, as they are probably already in your library/repetoire, plus I doubt you need any assistance in the training dept. but I found them to be quite interesting when I came across them last year.

Crickets Training Page

Clicker Training A Deaf Dog

I also have a link to a mailing list for owners of deaf dogs if you are interested.

I am thinking this little Rider Boy is going to be an inspiration to the Boxerworld Community. :)

Jean

sashamom

Boxer Insane
WOWOWOW!!! I am amazed...your post gave me a hugh smile on my face and i am delighted to hear how well he is doing and adjusting beautifully!! How inspiring your trio is!!
Sasha, Telmar and Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.