he hates me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loke

Firstly, I'm not going to jump down your throat for sending your baby to a trainer. After all, this is the internet, and we don't know the whole situation, no matter how much one thinks they know. I just hope that it was NOT a bad training session and he is ok!

Lenna

LokiGem

Super Boxer
I am very interested to know how you and Bacardi are doing now. How did the at home session pan out?
I don't blame you for sending your pup away for training. I have heard great stories about training for therapy dogs that requires them to stay away from home.
Also my boy had me at my wits end quite afew times through his teen rebellion phase. I work in social services and always joked that I would oneday ship him out to doggy bootcamp, (I didn't know that there really were such places.)
I was nearly pulling my hair out but I read and read and took him to classes. Consistency, patience, and unconditional love are the only things that got us through.
We as the boxers parents have to remember that our dogs behavior is a reflection of our committment to our babies. They are our kids. We have to keep them out of trouble by supervising them, teaching them right from wrong, and removing them from the situations that get them in trouble.
I learned very quickly that when Loki is bored he gets in trouble. If I don't be careful to keep things out of his reach, he will destruy them. ie....300$ cell phone, potted plants, bottle of script drugs, etc.....
I think many people would agree, it is usually the parents that need more training than the dogs.
I hope that you two are getting back to your normal routine and I wish you the best of luck.

Knowledge is power;)

basak

Boxer Insane
He is over 1 year old,, and I think that can be a part of the problem. He was so used to you and he probably felt like you abandoned him for 2 weeks. 2 weeks is a long time for a dog. When he comes back home, it is understandable he may not act like himself for a while. He is confused and probably stressed that you are going to leave him again. I don't think they abused him at the training, but your Bacardi just wasnot ready for that kind of experience;) Love and patience wil make Bacardi his oldself again:)

basak

marciafinn

Boxer Insane
Hi there,

I am new to this group - I have been trying to register for ages and they just opened it up again.

I have a 3 1/2 year old neutered male named Mason that I absolutley adore. I sent Mason away for training when he was about 5 months old and had a very positive experience. Even at 5 months old Mason was becoming uncontrollable. I had read several books, but nothing seemed to work. So I did what I thought was best to be a responsible pet owner.

Mason went away for 9 days and was very tired when he came home (yes I missed him terribly). He did a lot of work and play during training that he wasn't used to at home. He got about 15 hours of work and play each day so it was only natural that he was pooped when he came home. Even now we stop into the trainers for refreshers a few times a year and he loves the trainers very much. Hopefully it all works out for you. I know you only want the best. Three years later I wouldn't change a thing since as I said before we had a great experience and I believe that this only strengthened our bond. The trainer catered the program to your family and dog's needs.

How were the results from the vet about that drool? That is strange...never heard or seen that before.

Marcia & Mason

marciafinn

Boxer Insane
I forgot to add to my post yesterday that I could have dropped Mason off in the a.m. and picked him up in the p.m. but the trainer was too far away so this was not an option for us.

I was nervous about him being away added to the fact that he was so young. But like I said we had a great experience and we go see the trainer periodically throughout the year and Mason loves him. He starts doing his wiggle when we pull into the driveway of the trainer - it is so cute!

Mason also made some play buddies in the group who we schedule play dates with - another boxer and a shepard. They got along so great the trainer asked if I minded if he gave my number to the other dogs owners so we could arrange these play dates. The trainer strongly believes that play is an important part of a dogs training. They have to have fun too! I agree.

Tinker

Boxer Booster
HI,

I just wanted to know how Bacardi was doing? How did the training session and the vet visit go??

Wishing you both the best of luck,
Tinker

P.S.I used a trainer that comes to your home and trains the parents as well as the dog and i loved it. They had excellent reccomendations and we had a first meeting to make sure everyone got along (baby inluded). Cash is doing great and now we have a new family friend, out trainer Andres. Maybe next time you may want to try one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.