Having To Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

electric1

Super Boxer
I am going to be having to move this coming weekend after 18 years of living at/in the current house that in I now. I just was wondering if any of you who have Boxers have ever gone through the same type of situation and put my mind to ease about the whole ordeal. I am not concerned about myself. But, ABBY is five years old now and this is the only home she ever known. I know by her actions that she can tell that something is going. All the boxes are packed and scattered throughout the house. Some, if not most of the furniture has been already moved and rearranged. I did this just to make things easier on myself. I am still worried that because all of this stirring around and then having to relocate to a different place could or might be traumatizing to her

Althea

Completely Boxer Crazy
She'll make it. I've never lived longer than 3 years at any location, most less than 2, and my dogs have survived! We've been in our current home for four years -- a real milestone! She'll have some adjustment issues, but after a week or so, she'll be fine. Just walk her, spend time with her and make it really fun with treats and try to keep the structure of her training and appropriate behavior. The adjustment is so much easier if you maintain that bond between you that is forged through teaching and working together on good behavior (for both of you!) ;)

Madea

Super Boxer
this is music to my ear. I am moving also in 6 days and wanted to know, how i can make this a pleasant move for Tyson also. One thing i did before moving, was to check out what dogs where in the neighborhood. I chose my new neighborhood because there are 3 boxers in the neighborhood. I wanted to make sure it was BOXER-Friendly. Looking forward to the move so that Tyson can have a fenced in yard.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I am the Queen of Moving!

My husband is retired Army, and I think we have moved more times then years we have been married. I know moving can be stressful, but if you remain calm your pup will too. Keep your pup's favortie toys, blanket, bed, or whatever someplace they can get to it. On actual moving day, if you have a friend or family member that can take you baby for the day while things are being moved I would suggest doing that. That way you don't have to worry about you dog getting out while doors are open or getting stepped on. If not find a quiet room to put them in with their favorite things. Go in a check and reassure your pup often, this will also be a great stress release for you. As we all know, nothing can calm your nerves better than a good ol' boxer hug!

If you're moving to somewhere locally, go walk the new neighborhood with her beforehand. I know it's only a few days until you move, but she may think after the move that she has been there before and might make an easier transition. Most of my moves have been to totally different states, and all my boxers have done just fine. Arabella had a few accidents after our last move, which can be expected. Good luck!

Sansal

Boxer Insane
We are also moving, in 10 days (yay!)! We have been to the area we are moving to many times so Happy and Sky already know the local dog park and have even made some new friends. On moving day I am going to put them in one room with a gate up so they can still see what's going on but won't be in the way or get hurt. Dh and I both have some time off after the move so the dogs won't have to be left alone in the new house in the beginning. I am also planning on taking them on plenty of walks through the neighborhood so they can get to know the area.

Last edited:

sargboxerluv

Completely Boxer Crazy
When we had to move, Harley Girl did fine. She was much more hyper during our walks the first week - meaning she was pulling - because she just couldn't wait to check out the new smells. And she was a little more jumpy at noises because she wasn't use to them. But after about 10 days everything was back to normal. I did take her out more than usual because she was always sniffing around the place and I wasn' sure if she would pee somewhere, but that's all I did differently.

I definitely recommend having Abby either with someone else for the day or seperated in another room that is off limits to all movers. If by chance your dog does escape, she will have no idea where she is at.

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
I moved out of my place with our Boxer. He was around 6 years old and had lived there for 4 years (we adopted him so we weren't the only home he'd ever known). We moved from Louisiana to ARizona, it was a 3 day 12 hour a day trip. He rode in the U-Haul with my husband and the cats and our son rode in the SUV with me. It really stressed him out and he broke out in stress hives 24 hours after we got here (at least we assume it was from stress since it never happened again) and he went through a bought of peeing in the house for a few weeks so we had to go back to crating him for a month or so but after a month or so of adjusting he was fine and life went on.

Animals are resiliient, as long as you don't dwell on it they typically don't either. If you're nervous, upset, anxious, etc they're going to be too, if you keep calm and the "no big deal" attitude they'll be fine too.

electric1

Super Boxer
Surviving the Move

I had posted a previous thread that I was having to move and that I was concerned about how it would effect ABBY. Well, all my worries have proven to be unfounded. In fact, I was more stressed about it than ABBY was. We moved back to the small town of Bryson, TX, and the original home that I grew up in. As for ABBY seems to love it. There is much a larger back yard for her to run, romp, and play in. And there are plenty of new/stray dogs and cats that roam around to keep her occupied. The only inconvenient thing now is having to drive 12 miles to find a decent grocery store. Bryson is so small that there is only one blinking light in the center of town. Aaah, back to the simple life.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I'm so glad your move went well! Our puppies are usually happy as long as they are with us. It really doesn't matter where.

Status
Not open for further replies.