1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handling

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Lanah, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanah

Lanah Boxer Pal

Well I am about to start handling for the first time, our bitches Gemma and Lily will be at the Nashville show this march. It will be my first time handling in a ring with a judge there. I am so excited but I'm still really nervous about it. Is there anyone else who handles? Is there anyone else here who might be able to give me some advice? I've been practicing and going to classes 2 nights a week but I really want ot be prepared and the last thing I want to do is mess up and look silly... Does anyone have any tips or advice? I would really appreciate the help.

2. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

Pay attention

My biggest advice would be to pay attention and to both the judge and the people around you.. I used to get nervous and found myself fiddling with my dogs and would look up and there would be 15 feet between me and the dog in front of me or something lol.. I paid attention enough never to get yelled at by a judge but you need to watch because I have seen judges looking at a dog and they will wave their hand at you to move somewhere and if you are not watching you miss it and they think you are not paying attention (which kinda you are not) and they get upset. Other then that have fun showing your own boxers is soooo much fun.... I show some of mine and use handlers at some of the shows too so I do both and love both I like the shows I can watch my dogs and I love to handle my dogs... Good Luck you will do great.. Each time it gets easier and easier.

3. Lanah

Lanah Boxer Pal

Thanks!

Thanks so much for your advice I really can't wait to get started but I am still nervous. So far Gemma has been to three different shows and come home with ribbons every time with 2 rosettes so we are very pleased with her. That is with a handler though. I'm hoping that I do okay and don't look like an idiot against the pro's out there. I will keep that in mind and hopefully not trip over myself.

4. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

Fun

Thank goodness most Judges can tell right away that you are a first timer lol.. so they tend to be very kind.. I have had nothing but good experiences. My first time taking a puppy in my gal had just turned 6 month the day before the show I had worked her in classes and with other club members puppies but it was soo windy she was in heaven doing boxer burn being crazy she was a puppy so I didnt want to be too firm with her and although she acted like a crazy cat the judges comments were that it was great she was having so much fun and that is what we want for our puppies and after some experience she was going to do great.. I thought that was pretty nice since she made a circus of his ring lol.. they understand.. You have the benefit of that she has been in the ring before and has some experience with other puppies running and stacking behind her.. Good luck.. It really is so much fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.