1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handler question (agility)

Discussion in 'Agility/Obedience' started by johann, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johann

johann Boxer Insane

This may be a really dumb question.....
    How super agile does the handler have to be in agility? I'm recovering from a severely broken ankle/leg and am starting to push myself towards getting back to "normal", but I need a goal to aim for.

Horse is (hopefully) sold, since riding is out for a long time due to the type of injury. I was thinking of getting Johann started in agility soon. We'd probably do a refresher obedience course first......but is it feasible to be able to do beginning agility (ie, learning the obstacles, etc) with limited ability to run?

2. IluvLucy

IluvLucy Boxer Insane

It will really depends on Johann. How willing is he to try new (and scary) things? Is he willing to work at a distance or does he like to be right by you? Learning the obstacles won't be too bad and if you have someone who could help you it should be no problem. How much mobility do you have? Can you walk without support or help? You don't necessarily have to be able to run but training weave poles and tunnels and jumps are easier if you can manage at least a brisk walk. If Johann doesn't need a lot of "hands on" type of help and you can get around pretty good, I'd say you have a good chance of getting some training done. Just don't push too hard and re-injure yourself!

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

He's pretty good about doing new things. He already does jumps pretty well (we practice over horse jumps :LOL:). I'm hoping that in a few months I'll be able to walk brisky and maybe even jog a bit. I'm walking without crutches now, but am not very fast.

Thanks for the info. :) Now I just have to find a good agility place near me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.