1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hair loss

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Jules, Oct 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jules

Jules Boxer Pal

Newman has lost some hair behind both of his ears(uncropped). He is just about 1 year old. Is this something that should alarm me? I am nervous, because it looks so bad. Does anyone have any advice, or and ideas as to what it might be?

------------------
    Julie
    Newman's mom-flashy fawn w/ natural ears 11/5/00

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Julie you should take Newman to the vet. It could be any number of things but one of the likely possibilites is demodectic mange. Your vet can do a skin scrapping and find out for sure what it is.

I going to transfer this topic to The Health Forum. It will be open there instead.

------------------
    Jan
    Markus, dark brindle
    neutered male, 6 yrs old

3. Linda

Linda Boxer Insane

You should take him to the vet.
    A few years ago, Remy had some patches of hair loss on his back. The vet took a blood sample and determined it was a thyroid condition. He's been on medication since and has not had any problems.

Our youngest boxer had some bald spots that turned out to be a fungal infection. It was treated with antibiotics and topical cream.

Good luck.

------------------
    Linda
    Remy -DOB 6/2/92; white male w/brindle patches;
    Bailey - DOB 10/16/99; flashy brindle female
    Shannon - 1992?-12/7/99 Flashy fawn; We miss her!

4. Pat

Pat Boxer Booster

Julie, my two year old Morgan started losing her hair behind the ears, on her back legs, and under her front "arm-pits". It was so gradual, I didn't notice it at first. I used to feed her Purina One, and after reading how many people on this board fed Nutro, I drove 100 miles one way, and bought three bags of Lamb & Rice for her. Now, her hair is growing back in. She must have been alergic to the corn. Anyway, the change in food did the trick.

Pat: Morgans Mom

5. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

Hi Julie
    Buddy experienced hair loss with bald spots that started behind his ear and then spread over his body when he was younger. After numerous tests we found out that Buddy was allergic to the animal fat (pork) that the food company used on the food. He was on Eukanuba at the time. He has been on lamb and rice for at least 5 yrs and we have never had any more problems. Take your pup to the vet and have him checked out for everything
    before you decide it is the food. We had everything checked physically and finally our vet contacted the food company. Between the vet and the food company we were able to pinpoint the pork fat. Iams, who makes Eukanuba, were very supportive and once all was resolved they sent 5 coupons in $20.00 amounts to purchase food for Buddy. One problem though was that they didn,t run a separate line for their lamb and rice so there was a chance that a trace of pork could still get on the food. We donated the coupons to the local animal shelter in Buddy's name, and located a company that did run a separate line. Perhaps now Iams does as this was 5 or 6 years ago. So have your puppy checked!

Jean

------------------
    Jean
    Buddy--Born May 4 1993
    Male Fawn
    Cropped Ears
    Our best friend and companion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.