Hahns Macaw ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxy'sMama

Boxer Booster
I am hoping that there are some bird people here at Boxerworld. I am looking to add a new bird to our family. Our home has been to quiet since we lost our sun conure. Right now I am leaning towards a Hahns macaw. I have done research on this bird and feel that one would be an excellent addition to our family.
Does anyone here have any experience with these birds? From what I have read, they have personality plus, are not a one person bird and can reach up to a 100 word vocabulary.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I understand that every bird has it's own personality, but I would love to hear from anyone that has personal experience with these birds.

paijj

Boxer Pal
Sorry can't add much input on the Hahns macaw. We had a severe macaw(around 5 years old, rescued because the man didn't want to deal with her anymore and the wife was afraid of her) a few years ago that was really bitey and no matter how much we worked with her she was never a good hand bird. We tried everything for about 9 months,we finally let her go to a breeder. I think macaws are beautiful though i'm partial to the cockatoos. Right now we have an almost 7 year old senegal parrot and I couldn't ask for a better little buddy. I would suggest finding several bird breeders and getting some hands on experiance with severl differant birds before you decide. Sometimes when we research we don't always get an impartial view. Good luck and let me know what you decide and how it goes.

Roxy'sMama

Boxer Booster
New baby is home

Well, we did decide to go with the Hahns. After speaking with several different breeders about Hahns and other types of birds we went to visit a breeder. Our new baby chose us. Climbed right up, with the other 2 completely ignoring us. We spent about 2 hours at the breeders, contemplating and playing with many different birds. I fell in love with a cockatoo (I can sure understand your affection there), but we just do not have the space for that big a bird right now.
Our new baby is, as of right now, still nameless. We keep trying out different names, but can't seem to make a decision. We will have to get the DNA testing done to determine the sex. Our little one seems to be settling in pretty well. The bird is easily handled by all of us, however he seems to have taken quite a liking to our 11 yr. old son. So far, I'm very pleased. It is wonderful having a bird back in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.