Gums overtaking front teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

sargboxerluv

Completely Boxer Crazy
Harley Girl is about 7 now and I've noticed that her front teeth are starting to disappear. Her gums are overtaking them. I know there is a name for this and I was hoping someone could remember it for me so I can research it. Also, if anyone has had this happen did the vet recommend anything? My dogs are due for shots soon but I like to be prepared with questions for him when I get there. Thanks

whiskers

Boxer Insane
It's called gingival hyperplasia, pretty common in boxers. Vets will recommend surgery to cut away the excessive gum tissue, as depending on the severity of it, it can make it difficult for them to eat. It's also problematic, as bacteria gets trapped under the gums and can damage the bones of the teeth.

Generally the cause of it is due to plaque/bacteria being in the mouth - these dogs usually need a good dental cleaning anyway, so doing that and cutting away the excessive tissue + maintaining dental care at home is usually the best bet. :)

Dieselsmom

Boxer Booster
Hemi has this. She has had her gums cut back twice, once about 2 years ago and then about a month ago. She's also had 2 of her front teeth pulled as well due to this. First time, she was 8, she's 10.5 now. The last time she had it done, we couldn't see her front teeth at all. My vet tells me there's not much i can do to prevent it. But the surgery goes pretty well, she's back to normal the next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.