1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grooming - White

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Boxah, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boxah

Boxah Boxer Pal

I thought I would ask the show people - how do you get the white on a boxer super white? I've tried several things, but my guy is such a dirt dog and I find it impossible to get his paws/chest as white as it was when he was a puppy. Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

2. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

There are a few different shampoos you can find. For white hair that brightens it. They sell it in tack stores for horses or I find it cheapest at a beauty supply place. For white hair. Depending on what you want it white for if it is a special outing or a party if you go to any grooming supply store or online they sell white chaulk and you dust it in and it gets bright white. I would not do it all the time though. I just do if for the rescues before they visit there soon to be families and special things like that to make them look extra special!

3. Boxah

Boxah Boxer Pal

Thank you both for the advice!! :)

A couple more questions....

What is gentian violet?

Why can't the chalk be used too often? (just curious)

I don't do any showing with my guy but I like the look of cleanliness for special outings and such - so not a HUGE deal. I just get frustrated with washing his mits and they only get tan white. :(

4. BasilBox

BasilBox Super Boxer

I too would like to know about that violet stuff, and where can i buy it? how much to add? add it straight to the bottle, or a drop of it while you are bathing the dog?

5. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

When I say too often I just mean a daily thing might dry out the coat depending on how much white your pooch has but believe me at shows I know some people who use it 4-5 days a week. (it is suppose to be a no no) It really gets that crisp white look. I took my little 6 month old puppy to her first show I was so proud she had turned 6 months the day before the show. I spent a full day bathing her, grooming her, trimming everywhere. over an hour just cleaning every spec in her ears. Her naturally dark red coat was so shiny we got to the show and her white paws suddenly looked dull next to everyone else. I could not figure it out. Till my handler enlightened me as to why everyone looked so much brighter. ha ha.

6. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

I have never heard it called voilet anything but you can get a whitening shampoo from most tack stores and the color is dark purple and you have to be really careful not to add too much or you may have a little pink tint to your pup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.