Grey fur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roge

Boxer Insane
Maybe I just need to grow up, but that type of thing sets me off. I'm afraid I'd have to make a copy of the results, with a little "note" of my own attached and send it to the previous vet. I know people are human, but for whatever reason I get so aggravated, when I get made to feel like an idiot and it ends up I was right, been there with my human kids many times, and unfortunately with Tysons situation. I know it's not the right way to be, but that's one area I always end up regretting how I handle it lol.

I used to be a little like that years ago however I now go with the quote ""mamma knows best """ no matter how qualified the individual is they don't know your babies let it be skin or fur as well as you know them and if something is wrong or they are slightly out of kilter you will pick up on it straight away ..The last time I was with the vet to get shots for Roge she asked me how all my pals were on Boxer world LOL!! (( I tell her about little issues that come up that are new to me and she is always interested )) ha ha...

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Lily was 2 and I took her to a new vet because old vet refused tests I requested. The new vet took one look at her and said "we need to run a full thyroid panel on her". I asked why, since that was the very test my old vet refused my request......new vet said "she has a greying muzzle already, darkening of the saddle area and seems "puffy". Test came back she was hypothyroid. Once on the meds, her muzzle regained most of her coloring back.

May be just a small indicator of thyroid issues, but having a full panel done now will do two things: 1. see if her levels are low, due to aging. 2. if numbers are "normal", this will give you a baseline for the future - establishing what HER "normal" level is at the present.

Hmmm.... Arabella's grey did show up about the same time her other indicators of hypothyroidism did. Good info to keep in mind.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
When this vet suggested the full panel just by looking at the "indicators" on Lily, I truly knew I found a good vet! I also knew when I went to my new human doctor that took one look at my eyes and suggested that I too may have a thyroid condition (puffy around my eyes, a little bulging) that I found the right doctor. She too knew to test my thyroid and of course it was just about non-functional. She knew by looking at me before running a test.

Some doctors only look at the numbers and ignore those visual indicators that doctors only had for diagnosis decades ago - and were still correct without all the current diagnostics. If dogs with low thyroids seem to get grey early, dark saddling, and get a little puffy, then that would seem to be a great reason to delve a little deeper into testing the thyroid. BUT to test first, where number ranges are too inconsistant, especially in boxers where "dog's normal ranges" are NOT NORMAL TO BOXERS, then the diagnosis would come back incorrect and the visual indicators would be ignored. Just as my first vet had done - dismissed all my concerns of thyroid issue - weight gain, aggression, lethargy, laziness, loss of attention, sleepiness, ACL tears (recently found common in studies with hypothyroidism).

Forlorn

Boxer Booster
I wasn't going to bring her in to see if she had hypothyroidism since money's tight but the past month or so she's been loosing a lot of fur. I took her in today and the first thing the vet says is it looks like hypothyroidism without me even suggesting it. He took her blood and we'll get the results next week. Such an expensive test though.. 125 bucks. She's worth it though lovicon

Status
Not open for further replies.