1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gretta - the perfect pup! (a little long)

Discussion in 'Stories' started by wnt2adpt, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wnt2adpt

wnt2adpt Boxer Booster

Let me start by saying that this is my first experience with Rescue, and also my first experience with owning a Boxer. Read on...you will be as impressed as we are!!

We brought Gretta (formerly Simone) home yesterday, and we are blown away at how wonderful she is! When we picked her up, she sat so patiently in the back seat with daddy (Austin) and didn't even make a peep all the way home! We got her home, gave her some water, and played with her for a little while. She absolutely *loves* her rawhide bone!! Then, we went 'outside' and she peed!!! When we were standing there at the door, some little poodles came by. They wanted to meet Gretta, and she wanted to meet them too. When they walked up, she let them sniff her, and then she sniffed them. They got along GREAT!! So then we came back inside, I gave her a treat, and we played some more. She ate a little food, and decided she wanted to go back outside. Guess what she did? She went to the door!! Then she went outside & did a good poopie!! She even knows how to sit!!!

This girl is perfectly house-trained, is good with other dogs, good with us....how could anyone not want this wonderful little girl??? I'm so glad that we found her. She's about 3 years old now, and hasn't had the easiest life. When she came into Rescue, she had hardly any hair, had scabies, parasites, and looked really rough. Her skin has gotten better, although it is still very itchy. We hope that with a good home and some love, she will bounce back into the girl that she was meant to be.

Maybe I'm saying this all prematurely, but this girl is perfect!! She is so fabulous! I would recommend Rescue to anyone. I'm so happy with our girl, and I'm sure she will continue to surprise & impress us.

Erin

---If you want to take a look, I'm uploading her picture that we got from the Rescue. We took some more pics last night, but I won't have them for a few more days. I'll post them when I get them!!---

2. jazzyboxer

jazzyboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

She WILL stay this way if she's anything like our Jazz, who we've had with us almost 2 years now. Jazz was a neglect case pulled from someone's back yard and not really socialized, but always perfect in the house and that has never changed, she just keeps getting better the more confident she becomes!

Good for you for choosing to rescue! Gretta appreciates this chance you have given her. I'm sure they discern when they have people with good hearts to trust in, especially when they have been through so much.

3. natrhymer

natrhymer Boxer Booster

Congratulations! It sounds like you've got a wonderful girl! Just keep up the positive reinforcement and she'll probably continue down the "good girl" road. I'd expect after a few weeks she might backslide a bit as she gets more comfortable in your home; but continue to support her and train her and she'll keep on pleasing you. What a success story -- thanks for rescuing her (and Gretta's a great name!).

4. Shakira's Ma

Shakira's Ma Banned

I want to extend a warm welcome to BW and also a very big welcome for rescuing. There are sooooo many babies in rescue just waiting for that forever home and they are all equally sweet. Boxers, as a rule, are sweet and easy to get along with. I know they can be ornery but that is what makes them unique, mine is constantly thinking what to do next and it is more like a little persons thoughts and not a dogs. I forget most of the time that Shakira is a dog because she is so human-like. Again thanks so much for rescuing and good luck with Gretta, I will be watching for some pics can't wait to see them. grin2icon

5. wnt2adpt

wnt2adpt Boxer Booster

You guys here are awesome!

Thanks so much to everyone for all the positive vibes! Gretta has already responded so well to the positive reinforcement. She is sooooo sweet - she will curl up and lean into me while I scratch her. She loves it when I scratch behind her ears!

Gretta was just a name that I liked, and suggested to Austin (Gretta's daddy!). He liked it and decided it was the one. It was such a difficult decision...we wanted the perfect name! Thank you so much!

Thanks also for the warm welcome! Everyone here is so nice & I have gotten a load of information here! Whenever we went to the rescue, there were about 10 dogs there. I could barely contain myself when we drove up!! 10 Boxers excited to see you, with their little butts wiggling side to side...I couldn't stand it!! They were soooo cute! I wanted to take every single one of them home, but only one will do for now! I definitely think rescue is an awesome thing - Gretta will get more love than she can handle! :0)

I uploaded a pic earlier today, and it hasn't posted yet. I'm not sure how long it takes to get approved?? Hopefully it will be there soon. I'll get the other ones uploaded as I get them developed! Thanks again!!

I posted in the training section about the crate. Maybe you guys will have some insight!
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71481

6. wnt2adpt

wnt2adpt Boxer Booster

The picture is there!!

Gretta's picture is up in the gallery. Check this sweet girl out!! :)

7. marciafinn

marciafinn Boxer Insane

Congratulations and Welcome! :) Gretta is a beautiful baby and I am sure she'll be repaying you for giving her the home she deserves over & over & over. I am so glad to hear that things are working out so well. BW is a great site - I'm still not sure how I made it pre-BW! I am glad that you have joined and will be sharing your stories to come!

8. Holden's Mom

Holden's Mom Boxer Insane

Congratulations! Greta is a gorgeous gal. Enjoy your new best friend.

Pam and Pete

9. hanley

hanley Boxer Insane

Congrats on your new girl Gretta! She is sure a beauty & a lucky pup! Thank you for going the rescue route, I wish more people would do this!Bless you & your family for having such a kind heart! Hanley

10. wnt2adpt

wnt2adpt Boxer Booster

Thank you again everyone!

Gretta is still doing WONDERFUL! She's so good, she really doesn't even need the crate! I'm thinking that she was just plain neglected in her former home. I can tell that she is so happy with us now. She responds so well to our loving attention - if I'm lucky, she will start wiggling her little butt side to side!! I love that! She likes to lay down with me and prop her head up on my arm. She's such a sweetie!

Thanks to everyone here - the positive vibes only continue to reinforce my decision to adopt this awesome doggie.

Erin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.