1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greeting people when out walking

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by Kellyt, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kellyt

Kellyt Boxer Pal

Hi all. Just after a bit of advice. Whenever we go out walking people rush over to see my 16 wk old pup. They all make a fuss and he jumps up and loves the attention. This is fine now he's little but I don't want him doing it when he's bigger. I try to get him to sit but people don't give him the chance (not that he will listen as he's so excited). What's the best thing to do? He loves meeting new people so I don't want to stop him meeting people but just don't know what to do.

2. luvmyboy

luvmyboy Boxer Insane

I have the same thing with my 2 year-old boy... older folks, kids, moms with little kids. It's a great opportunity, but under the right conditions. I always let them know that Tucker & I are "in training" (because we pretty much always are at this point - lol). I generally get him situated & then invite whoever over to meet him. This way, he (who loves, loves people & especially kids) gets to socialize with my neighbors, but on my terms. Everyone is so understanding & will wait patiently for a few moments for the opportunity. I get the biggest kick out of the little kids who are squealing when they reach out to pet him..

3. Independence

Independence Boxer Insane

Your dog, your rules. People should understand and you can explain that you and your puppy are in training. I find that if I teach the kids about his training and show then some commands it makes it fun for both and you get some extra work in too. It's true that misbehaving is cute with a 20 pound puppy but when that puppy is 70-80 pounds it's not so fun. Start working with them now. If the people don't want to follow your rules move on. He's a boxer and someone is sure to be just steps away waiting to love on him and follow the rules ;0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.