Grain-Free Treat Recipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeauxsMom

Boxer Pal
Just thought I'd share this recipe I came up with!

1 1/2 cups Shredded cooked chicken (I used boneless, skinless thighs)
1 1/2 cups Pea or Garbanzo Bean (chick pea) Flour
1/2 cup of mashed sweet potato
1/4 cup Milk
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Tsp Cinnamon

Mix Milk, Honey, Cinnamon.
Add Sweet Potato.
Add Chicken.
Then slowly mix in flour.

I found that cutting out shapes out of rolled out dough to be a real P.I.T.A.
SO
I split dough into 2 sections.
Roll each into a long tube with some plastic wrap...about the width of a quarter.
FREEZE.

When you're ready to bake:
Preheat oven to 375
Just defrost your cookie dough in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
You want your dough to still feel frozen, but just a bit softened enough to cut into.
Slice into medallions as possible, so they crisp easily.
Put onto a cookie sheet, no need to leave a lot of space in between them, as they don't really expand.
I cook for 7 minutes, flip, and cook for 5 more minutes.
They should be brown on both sides.

Done :)

BeauxsMom

Boxer Pal
Just noticed an error...
Slice your dough as THIN as possible.

Also...

The recipe yields approximately 140 treats, give or take 10..depending on the width of your "tubes" of dough and how thick or thin you're slicing.

The softer your dough is the more difficult it will be to slice.

While I'm slicing, I hold the dough with plastic wrap.

I'd like to experiment with different gluten/grain free flours and blending them, so I'll post any tips or alterations that I come across!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like and interesting recipe. I often used to make treats for my dogs. I wasn't trying to make them grain free, but I would use brown rice flour as an alternative to wheat. I would just roll it out and cut it into squares with a pizza cutter. Would that not work with your recipe?

Bathel

Super Boxer
I used to make a treat with blended oats (to make a flour), peanut butter and pumpkin and then dehydrated... puppy really loved it.

Now, I just buy Orijen's freeze Dried treats... 7 calories each treat and 100% meat. My little girl goes CRAZY for them...

BeauxsMom

Boxer Pal
I haven't used rice flour but the problem with rolling out the grain-free recipe, is that it is SUPER sticky.
I do love the pizza cutter idea, though!

We did the freeze-dried treats for a while and for the price, I just go through them so quickly!
This batch costs me $3 - $4 depending on what I pay for the chicken and flour.
Love the sound of your oat, pb, and pumpkin recipe!

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks for sharing. .I'm definitely going to give it a try, I was just lookng for a grain free treat recipe. Do you think there is any way to substitute peanutbutter and apple for the chicken?

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I haven't used rice flour but the problem with rolling out the grain-free recipe, is that it is SUPER sticky.

Maybe you could put a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper on top of the dough before rolling. Maybe a dusting of grain free flour would help stop the paper from sticking.

Bathel

Super Boxer

We did the freeze-dried treats for a while and for the price, I just go through them so quickly!
This batch costs me $3 - $4 depending on what I pay for the chicken and flour.
Love the sound of your oat, pb, and pumpkin recipe!

It was a cup of whole oats, cup of pumpkin, 1/2 cup peanut butter (find the no sugar added peanut butter). Pulverize the oats in a food processor and mix with pumpkin and peanut butter. scoop out in small balls and flatten on dehydrator racks and then dehydrate. I guess you could bake them in an oven too at the lowest setting...

The dough is sticky, but workable.

The Orijen's treats are 13 bucks to the door (with free shipping on a 49 dollar order) for 110 treats... so the cost isn't too bad. I only give a treat or two a day, so they last me awhile...

Also, I do a "super" treat for when I need to crate her during the day and I just take chicken tender strips and dyhydrate them. She goes bonkers for that... I'll get one out and say "Crate" and she runs upstairs and sits in her crate waiting or me to give her the treat...

Status
Not open for further replies.