1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good with children?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Brooke Lane, Oct 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brooke Lane

Brooke Lane Guest

I've heard from almost everyone that has a boxer has said that boxers are good with children. A women last night told me that a friend of hers has boxers and if she were me, she wouldn't get a boxer if she had young kids. My girls are ages 3 and 6. We are considering getting a boxer puppy, but if they're not good with children, then I don't want to get one.
    Also I posted a topic the other day about my husband wanting to keep the puppy outside all the time. Well, I've been talking to him about it and he finally gave in and said we could keep it in the house. I'm so excited.

2. Canuck

Canuck Boxer Buddy

I have never had a boxer, so perhaps I shouldn't reply, but I wanted to say a couple things. First, everything I have read on this board and elsewhere indicates that Boxers LOVE kids and are great with them. The word of caution the woman gave you could either have been ignorance, OR it could be because Boxers are so energetic they might *accidentally* knock a child over or something like that.
    I know many people have already said it, but whatever you do, don't get a Boxer (or any dog) and leave it outside. It is not fair to the dog at all. I think it is great your husband has changed his mind, and I hope that whatever dog you get will become a loved member of the family. Good luck! :)

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Boxer Pal

We got our first boxer in April when she was 8 weeks old. My granddaughter had just turned 1 year old. Kira , our boxer, is wonderful with our grand daughter. The only problem we had was when our granddaughter would want Kira to chase her. Kira would jump on her and her nails would scratch her. But we were able to teach Kira not to do that. Any body else that I have known and any of the breeders we talked to when we were looking for a boxer said that they are excellent with kids. If you have your kids play with your puppy a certain way the puppy will learn what he can and can not do. My 15 year old daughter lets Kira jump on her and Kira tries to chew on her hair and ears. She is the only one Kira does it to. She knows she can"t do that to anyone else in our family. Boxers are absolutely wonderful dogs and if I had the room I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. Good Luck!

------------------
    Kira-born 2/4/00, female, plain fawn, cropped, docked, and about to be spayed.
    Rocko- big brother to Kira, black lab, adopted at 2 years old, nuetered, born 3/2/95

4. nanabear

nanabear Banned

Brooke, I's so happy for you that your husband has agreed to have a Boxer as an *inside* dog.
    We are empty nesters, so do not have kids around 24/7 - but we have 3 grandchildren who are often here. Boxers *do* love kids, but they are big, energetic dogs - my male does not have a mean bone in his body, but he has hurt me a few times. IMHO, I think Boxers go better with kids 9 and over. Old enough to "take it" as well as dish it out.

I told my husband this morning.......I want to have my gravestone made early. I will have it say "Mack didn't *mean* to kill me."
    This, as he was tromping around on me in bed this morning, giving kisses and slurps.

Boxer puppies are a handful, it is like adding an additional toddler into your family - one with ADD. They are slow to mature, and need a firm hand for training.

I don't mean to sound like doom and gloom, I am on my second Boxer and I think they are the best breed around. But there were several times during the first 12-18 months when I thought "what have we done?!" After they settle down, they are wonderful loving dogs, and yes! they do love children!

5. catcompany

catcompany Banned

I grew up with a Boxer Girl ...and she was just wonderful with me. They are energetic true but at the same time they can be gentle. Draco, my present Boxer is just great with kids. He jumps ecstatically when he sees other dogs but with children he has a different personality.
    Ask Robyn, she has a Boxer and 4 years old twins!!!

------------------
    "Juno"
    Draco:FawnMale, NaturalEars and NaturalTail(long wiggly tail!!),Neutered..Adoptedon August 26th, 2000 from the Lone Star Boxer Rescue
    Poppy:(Judy Old Flame Of Jojupama):FawnFemale, FloppyEars, DockedTail....Rainbow Bridge
    Fox Terriers-Jonaki,Bachchu,Jhansi,Julie,Jojo&Doggie:RainbowBridge

6. Hunter's Moon

Hunter's Moon Boxer Pal

I have 2 very very energetic children ages 2 and 4. My 1 yr old Boxer is great with them,they chase him and hug and kiss him all the time and he just does it right back to them :) We did have to teach him not to jump up and put his paws on my 2 yr old daughter's chest but he was doing it out of play and soon learned that that was not acceptable.In my opinion Boxers are the best dogs for children. Before we bought a Boxer we researched it on the internet and there are lots and lots of websites that confirm that boxers are great with kids!
    Good luck on your quest :)
    I think its a really good thing that you are researching and debating the issue BEFORE you get a dog :)

Sandra

------------------
    Hunter, Mahogany Brindle Male born October 18,1999
    cropped ears and docked tail

7. Jennifer -Pharaoh's Mom

Jennifer -Pharaoh's Mom Guest

PISH PASH!!!! This site has all the "PROOF" you need that kids and boxers were meant to be together! My own boxer, Pharaoh, is in two of the pics.
    ENJOY!!!! Let me know what you thought.
    Jennifer
    http://www.boxerrescue.com/kids_pics.htm

8. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

Boxers are wonderful with kids. Buddy was three when my niece Jillyan was born. I took care of Jillyan every day for the first year while her parents worked. He was wonderful! As an infant he slept by her crib, layed beside her on the floor. The only thing we had to stop was that he wanted to give her continual slurppy kisses. When Jillyan learned to crawl Buddy had a fit. Now she required more watching and we had stairs. Buddy layed across the top of the staircase whenever she was on the loose, and would not let her near. He nudged her away. Once Jillyan started walking we had to teach Buddy not to jump up and try to kiss her. Buddy and Jillyan are the best of pals to this day. Now that I have a new nephew, Buddy is in baby heaven again! He was so gentle with her, even if she dragged him around by his jowls. (ouch) He never growled or snapped. In my opinion Boxers are the best breed to have around children. I must tell you though that even though I trusted him with all my heart, I never allowed them to be alone in a room together, just in case she did something and he reacted. I don't feel that any dog owner should ever be that comfortable. Perhaps if she was my own child I might have felt differently, I don't know. You tend to be a bit more cautious with someone elses. I also used to have my husband bring Buddy to the daycare where I worked, before Jillyan was born, and daycare day was one of his favorite days. You could see it on his face!!

9. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

That great that your husband has decided to allow the boxer in the house.

Boxers have a reputation of being very good with children. They are very tolerant and will put up with all sorts of abuse from kids. I don't think your friend knows what she is talking about.

------------------
    Jan
    Markus, dark brindle
    neutered male, 6 yrs old

10. Lisa M

Lisa M Completely Boxer Crazy

I grew up with boxers and was allowed to pick out "my" first boxer as a child. My mom and dad took me to a breeder who had several pups for me to see that he felt would be good candidates for us. All the puppies were jumping up to lick my face, they were as big as I was and at first I was a bit scared, but then I knew that my parents were right there and wouldn't let anything happen to me. I picked Brandy because she stayed right next to me the whole time I was there, it was more like she picked me.

She was such a tolerant dog. I used to put her in a little shopping cart I had and take her everywhere with me. I blamed everything I did wrong on her and once she ate one of my dolls and I actually hit her on the head with the doll when I found it and she never once even growled at me. She was a loving companion at all times.

I'm sure my parents closely supervised us when we played and trained brandy not to run me down and things like that - and I'm sure they also told me never to smash my broken dollies on her head :rolleyes: too but even when I did, she didn't mind at all.

I would never worry about a boxer with kids. I'm not sure why this woman told you she wouldn't let her kids be with a boxer, some people are just afraid of big dogs.

You might also consider rescuing a boxer from a local boxer rescue, they usually stay with foster parents who can determine the dog's child skills. A puppy that grows up with kids should be fine with them - just make sure you have a breeder that is getting you a puppy that has parents with good temperments sometimes champion ribbons aren't as important as the personality of the parents.

I'm glad to hear you will be able to keep your newest addition inside with you. Your boxer will love you forever and deserves to be treated as what it is - a member of the family.

------------------
    mama to:
    -Sumi, lab mix "pound puppy"
    -Casper, white boxer rescued from the Dade County Animal shelter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.