1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to a Show Need Tips/Etiquette Advice

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by BXRBESTFRIND, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BXRBESTFRIND

BXRBESTFRIND Super Boxer

So Im planing on going to a local Boxer Club show this weekend. Ive only been to one other show and didnt really approach any of the owners/handlers/Breeders.

My question is, is thier any dos and don'ts I should know about.

THe one thing I do know is dont bother the handlers right before they go in to the ring.

Other than that though Im walking in pretty much blind any and all insight would be much appreciated.

Ohh the main reason Im going is to talk to a few breeders and get some info on the local breedig scene.

THanx in advance

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

I expect this is too late to do you much good, sorry! But you got the most important bit, keeping away from the exhibitors/handlers prior to ring time. ;) Other than that, it's basically common courtesies - I'm sure you did fine. :)

3. BXRBESTFRIND

BXRBESTFRIND Super Boxer

So I went to the show over the weekend

I have to admit it wasnt what I expected I assumed it was gonna be more structured. It was all outside with a small ring and kennels surrounding the ring. Im not sure if thats the way the smaller shows normally are or if my idea was/is just completely off.

Of course all the Boxers were beautiful and I hada great time but I had a hard time locating breeders to talk to. Well I found one but I was getting dirty looks from her husband I guess he thought I was hanging around his puppies to much- LOL how could I resist though!!

So I guess Im asking is this typical of a small show (It just seemed so disorganized) or was I expecting to much from watching to many shows on TV?

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

The shows on TV are not really representative of an actual dog show. :) You only see the Group and Best in Show rings, for one, which are later in the day and have only a small portion of the dogs entered in the breed rings. I suppose the breed competition might appear disorganized to an outsider, but there is a choreography to it and once you learn the rhythym, it all seems to flow quite smoothly (for the most part, anyway!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.