1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going on walks

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by KentuckyColt, Nov 3, 2014.

1. KentuckyColt

KentuckyColt Boxer Pal

Hi guys! I think this question belongs in this section and not the Behavior section, but if I'm wrong I apologize! I have a question on going on walks with Colt. We are currently working on finishing fencing in our backyard, so when we go outside he wears his harness and leash. He walks awesome on the leash in our yard, and loves to explore. Going on a walk down the road is a total different beast though. Never have I had a dog that loves being outside but seems to hate walks noideaicon
    I've read several threads in the past few weeks on how to get him to 'behave' and some tips I've seen are slowly working. He's improved A LOT on walking towards the turn-around point, but coming back home he constantly pulls. I've been making our 'ehhh' sound, stopping, and making him sit beside me until I decide to move. That works for maybe three feet, then he's back to pulling. This tactic sometimes clicks in his head halfway home and he'll stay beside me with no pulling, but that's probably 2x a week out of the 4-6 times we go on a walk.
    I've also tried to give a small favorite treat, but he refuses treats on walks. So I tried pieces on hotdogs. No go. rolleyesicon

We haven't done an obedience class yet because he hasn't had his last set of shots. We have a vet school near us that has a trainer with classes two times a year, but the next class isn't for 5 months. I am thinking of asking a trainer in town that everyone recommends for help after the next vet visit to see if she'll work with us on this. I'm kinda torn because he's doing so good on everything else we've been training him and he's getting socialization through our family/friends' dogs and cats.

Anyone have any tips/tricks that we can try until he's had his last set of shots? You would be my hero forever helpicon lol

2. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

If he starts to pull you, literally turn into him, forcing him to change direction. Do this every single time he's pulling. Soon, he should stop pulling, and walk next to you, even looking up at you to see where you are headed. This is what we learned in our beginner classes earlier this year when working on "loose leash walking". Good luck!

LoveMyDoggie likes this.
  3. KentuckyColt

KentuckyColt Boxer Pal

Thank you! I had read about that somewhere, but totally forgot redfaceicon
    We just went out to check the mail and on the way back up the driveway he of course started to pull. Did this three times and he kept an eye on me the rest of the way. It definitely got his attention haha. Can't wait to try it on our walk tomorrow morning!

brodieboxer and RockTheBoxer like this.
  4. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

Fantastic! There were times I felt like we never actually went anyplace because we were always turning around, but it worked and our walks greatly improved!

5. LoveMyDoggie

LoveMyDoggie Boxer Insane

Great advice Rock. We learned the same thing in training and it definitely works.