Gina critically injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
Things are definitely improving. Gina remains on pain relief and has started intensive physio. When I asked the vet about her crying through the night, she thinks she may be bored and still confused following her accident.

The canine physiotherapist has been amazing and has given us exercises to do at home to try and release the muscles in her bad leg. Gina continues to walk on three legs and is becoming very agile, but if she does not use her other leg, she could loose function altogether and that could mean amputation which we obviously don't want after everything she has been through.

Can't beleive how far we have come in such a short space of time..........sincere thanks to everyone for your kindness and positive thoughts.

SherylM

Completely Boxer Crazy
I'm so sorry that you all are having to go through this. Poor Gina, poor you! I'm glad that she is improving. As for her crying through the night, it could be from the medication. My old gal Avery was very sensitive to pain medications and she would whine and cry when she was on them.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
The night time crying has become less and she is definitely brighter. She is now only taking codeine as pain relief.

The physio really knocks her. When she got back from the vets yesterday evening, all she wanted to do was sleep with a hot water bottle on her bad leg.

She is still unable to weight bear on her right leg, but keeping everything crossed it improves.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
After a few days of improvement the vet has landed a bombshell when I picked her up today. The fracture of her femur has started to separate despite the pin and plate to hold it together. Gina cried last night and I wondered if she had pain.

Our options:

a further operation to replace the pin and plate with another broader plate-no idea if this will work.

amputation of her leg and probable full recovery.

Gina is continuing with daily physio and now has extra analgesia-another fentanyl patch, codeine and anti inflammatories.

In herself she is brighter, but does not use her injured leg. The vet also suggested there may be nerve damage, but are unable to confirm.

We have the week-end to consider our options and then discuss with the vet after she has been re-assessed on Monday.

Money is definitely an issue, but on the positive side the vet has discussed a reduced fee payment for further treatment as we have already spent so much.

I'm gutted after all she has been through-so a lot of serious thinking and talking this week-end.

VivDarkbloom

Boxer Booster
Oh no! It must have been gut-wrenching to hear about the fracture separating. It's good that Gina seems brighter in herself, though. It's obvious that you love her and are always thinking of what's best for her. I know you'll make the right decision.

mistydwilson

Super Boxer
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about this setback for Gina. Sending her more positive <<<<vibes>>>>! It sounds like you guys have a tough decision ahead. I can't imagine what I would do in that situation. But I'm sure whatever you decide, Gina will be better because of it in the future. Let us know when her procedure is (whichever one you choose) and how she does through it.

Glasnevin

Boxer Booster
Had a sleepless night as Gina cried for most of the time. I gave her extra analgesia and a hot water bottle, but without much success. She was incontinent by her bed.

Taking her back to the vet this morning. I'm so, so tired. Its unbearable seeing her like this.

Sincere thanks for all the encouragement I have had on this forum, it does help, but I'm beginning to think we are going to have to make some tough decisions very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.