Getting rid of Arupdate.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
I am trying to get rid of an adware program (arupdate.exe) and I can't figure out how to.

I've tried using the Windows Add/Delete program and it won't let me delete it. I've gone out to the command line and tried to erase it but it says 'access denied' like I don't have permission to erase the file.

We have Spybot but it is not detecting the file either.

Any suggestions?
Cindy

DanCat

Boxer Booster
Do you know where it's located....what file loation? Have you tried deleting your cookies and then deleting it? If you can locate where it is then you can go into windows explorer, navigate your way in and remove the core of it that way. Use the search function in the start menu to find it easily.

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
DanCat, I've tried everything and it just won't let me erase or delete it. I do know the file location and tried to delete from Windows Explorer as well as going out to the command prompt and trying to erase it - nothing works!
Cindy

arupdate.exe
Adware.AdRoar is a Browser Helper Object that is used to display pop-up advertisements.
In some circumstances, you may see the message:
This module was compiled with a trial version of Delphi. The trial period has expired.

If the file Cpr.dll is found in the System folder this mean you are infected.
This adware must be manually installed or installed as a component of another program.

Creates the following registry keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cpr.IEHelperOP
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FAC6E0E1-5D45-4907-BC00-302D702DCC73}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cpr
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CPR

Periodically contacts iads.adroar.com to download advertisements.
May download and install updated versions of itself.

This threat can be detected only by Symantec products that support expanded threats.
Use RegRun Start Control to remove arupdate.exe and cpr.dll.

--------------------------------

Manual removal
Open a DOS command prompt window (Start->All programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands, for the Cpr variant:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u Cpr.dll
Or, for the ARUpdate variant:

cd "%WinDir%\System"
regsvr32 /u "..\AdRoar.dll"
For the ARUpdate variant, open the registry (Start->Run->regedit) and find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the 'ARUpdate' entry.

Restart the computer and you should be able to delete 'Cpr.dll' from the System folder ('System32' on Windows NT/2000/XP/2003; inside the Windows folder). Or for the ARUpdate variant, delete 'AdRoar.dll' and 'ARUpdate.exe' from the Windows folder.

Quinsi's Age Progression Page
**UPDATED**July-21-2004

Status
Not open for further replies.