Getting a boxer puppy this week. Everyone telling me I'm crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAshmeerego

Boxer Buddy
I am SO excited to get my first boxer pup this weekend! I have had my eye on this breed the last few years. I have done a ton of research on their personalities and good training methods, etc. my problem is every time I tell someone I'm getting a boxer they tell me how crazy I am and how destructive boxers are. Now, I know boxers are very smart and energetic and any dog with those qualities would be destructive if left to his own devices. I plan on training my puppy very well and keeping him very active. He will be part of the family from day 1! I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. Am I crazy? I figured you all would be th best to ask. Everyone telling me I'm crazy is making me incredibly nervous about bringing the little guy home.

joannaryan

Boxer Insane
Boxers are no more destructive than any other dog that has been left unattended. Your kennel, that is if you plan on kennel training will keep your furbaby/furkids safe and protected when he/she is left alone. I don't think you will have anything at all to worry about. Enjoy your new arrival and good luck :)

larrygs

Super Boxer
Crate training, or kennel training if you prefer, is extremely important for any dog. It allows you to have a very consistent schedule as they learn, accellerates house breaking, and practically eliminates destruction. We have had five boxers over the years, with essentially no destruction. This was because they all were crate trained, and monitored when not in the crate.

My neighbors who have dogs, (not boxers), do not use crates and have much damage.

There are various ways of starting. At the beginning we really try to make the crate a very positive experience, a place they prefer. Both of ours know our schedule, go in their crates without being asked, and wait for us. Layla sometimes whimpers if we take too long to close the door. It is clearly not a bad experience for them, if done right.

I strongly recommend crate training.

Cami

Boxer Insane
You don't have to be "crazy" to own a Boxer.....but it helps!:LOL:

Others have given you good advice and crate training should be a serious consideration. Constant, I mean 100% of the time supervision is a necessity with any pup and you will need eyes in the back of your head with a Boxer puppy.
They are quick, smart and stubborn. You have to make your very best attempt to stay one step ahead of them and if truth be told it isn't an easy task.
They are for sure not a breed for just anyone! If you have the patience and are persistent with training, able to admit your faults and what might seem like set-backs at times, are willing to put in the time and effort they require then you will help them to grow into the best Boxer they can be. It will be worth it. There are no other dogs like them in the world.
They will help you to achieve your most frustrated state ever.
You might experience puppy regret which is totally normal.
If you are the most patient person in the world they will make you wonder if you are going to remain sane.
As long as they are in your life you will never go a day without smiling.
They joy you get by having them in your life is like no other joy you have ever experienced.
They will teach you every day what true unconditional love is.
And of course they will eventually break your heart but the love gained before that happens will make it all worth it.

Madea

Super Boxer
@Susie, you said it best, YOU HAVE TO BE A LITTLE CRAZY YOURSELF, IN ORDER TO OWN A BOXER OR TWO. I am a boxer fan for life. No matter what anyone says, boxers are by far the best family member you can have. I have two and I love it..

GoAshmeerego

Boxer Buddy
Crate training, or kennel training if you prefer, is extremely important for any dog. It allows you to have a very consistent schedule as they learn, accellerates house breaking, and practically eliminates destruction. We have had five boxers over the years, with essentially no destruction. This was because they all were crate trained, and monitored when not in the crate.

My neighbors who have dogs, (not boxers), do not use crates and have much damage.

There are various ways of starting. At the beginning we really try to make the crate a very positive experience, a place they prefer. Both of ours know our schedule, go in their crates without being asked, and wait for us. Layla sometimes whimpers if we take too long to close the door. It is clearly not a bad experience for them, if done right.

I strongly recommend crate training.

I am crate training for sure. :)

You all have really made me feel SO much better! I picked this breed for a reason and you have all reminded me of it. :-D

GoAshmeerego

Boxer Buddy
You don't have to be "crazy" to own a Boxer.....but it helps!:LOL:

Others have given you good advice and crate training should be a serious consideration. Constant, I mean 100% of the time supervision is a necessity with any pup and you will need eyes in the back of your head with a Boxer puppy.
They are quick, smart and stubborn. You have to make your very best attempt to stay one step ahead of them and if truth be told it isn't an easy task.
They are for sure not a breed for just anyone! If you have the patience and are persistent with training, able to admit your faults and what might seem like set-backs at times, are willing to put in the time and effort they require then you will help them to grow into the best Boxer they can be. It will be worth it. There are no other dogs like them in the world.
They will help you to achieve your most frustrated state ever.
You might experience puppy regret which is totally normal.
If you are the most patient person in the world they will make you wonder if you are going to remain sane.
As long as they are in your life you will never go a day without smiling.
They joy you get by having them in your life is like no other joy you have ever experienced.
They will teach you every day what true unconditional love is.
And of course they will eventually break your heart but the love gained before that happens will make it all worth it.

This was beautiful. thank you :)

CoraBoxer

Super Boxer
Honestly if you're engaged with you boxer, give them the opportunity to tire and crate train i'd be surprised if you had issues. Prove everyone wrong. Watch those jaws drop when your boxer impresses. I think a lot of people confuse a boxers playfulness/goofy nature with out of control energy (the kind that can manifest itself through destructive behavior). Two different things imo. Any puppy is a lot of work. You've picked a breed that will eagerly go with you everywhere and anywhere :)

Last edited:

GoAshmeerego

Boxer Buddy
Honestly if you're engaged with you boxer, give them the opportunity to tire and crate train i'd be surprised if you had issues. Prove everyone wrong. Watch those jaws drop when your boxer impresses. I think a lot of people confuse a boxers playfulness/goofy nature with out of control energy (the kind that can manifest itself through destructive behavior). Two different things imo. Any puppy is a lot of work. You've picked a breed that will eagerly go with you everywhere and anywhere :)

LoL i LOVE that you said prove everyone wrong. I am very stubborn, especially when someone tells me something is not possible. Proving people wrong is exactly what i want to do. cool2icon

hurleygirl

Boxer Booster
I too 100% believe crate training is very important. Also those first few weeks I used to tether my boxers to me with about a six foot lead. I would not leave them to their own devices out of the crate. They were house trained in no time because if they even looked like they were going to swat we went outside. If you spend the time with them on the front end, you'll have a great pet later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.