1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

German Shepard breading...ugh

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by TinksDream, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

So today my brother and sister in law were over and we were talking. My sister in law told me she wants to take one of her mom's GS puppies (not sure if her dog is even preggo yet) so that she can breed the puppy b/c her younger sister made a lot of money when she bred her GS. This really annoys me! She only wants the puppy to try and make a profit from it, plus she already has 2 dogs (1 of which she talked about breeding but never did). I talked to her about if they did/will do any genetic testing on any dogs first and she kinda had an attitude about it saying they are all papered so there isn't any problem, seriously???

I need to re-licence Jaxon next month so I was on the animal shelter website and can't help but look at the babies needing a home and there were over 500 dogs listed!! That doesn't even include any in rescues/other shelter in the area; and my SIL will just be adding to the problem. People ask me all the time if I breed my 2 just b/c I have a male and female; my response is usually to the extent of why would I breed when there are so many dogs already in need of a home.
    Sorry I know this was kinda long, but I just had to vent b/c IMO dogs/pets aren't to make a profit off of.

2. rrboxer

rrboxer Super Boxer

I understand your frustration. I agree with you that there are sooo many dogs all ready out there that need a home and can't understand why people just use their pets for some cash. When we first got Lacy alot of people asked me if we were going to breed her. I guess people liked her markings & color and they said you can make alot of money. My answer, "No way, do you see how many dogs are out there on the animal control website and all the rescues we have here not to mention across the U.S.? We don't need another litter of puppies out there." In the past when I needed extra cash I picked up a 2nd job. I would think this is so much easier than raising a litter the proper way.

3. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Why not send her a link of a search of GSD's in need of adoption? Maybe that could be her wake up call!

With the poor breeding of GSD's, it really upsets me that general people still breed them. I was watching a tv show about how dogs have been bred away from the "original standard" and now the AKC has adapted their standards to what is "standard" today. They were discussing how the stance of the dog has changed dramatically - like their rear end getting more and more haunched down due to the bad breeding practices of poor hip design. Once I saw the show, it really made me think if the AKC, and other breed registries, has contributed to the bad breeding practices by accepting the deviations as "standard".

4. hmdupuis

hmdupuis Super Boxer

Why is that what seems to come to mind when you tell someone your getting/have a pure bred? When I got Tyson so many people asked if we were going to breed him. First off, Tyson didn't even come with legit papers. Second, I got him because I wanted a companion. Besides, I could never be a breeder, I would want to keep each and every pup lol.
    What does SIL plan on doing if she's not able to sell the pups? I'm sure she doesn't have the proper set up to breed, in example knowledge of the breed or money that has to be invested before she can even think of a profit. We can only hope that her moms GS isn't prego.

5. TinksDream

TinksDream Boxer Booster

I would totally send her a link with a search of GSD but I think she would get upset (she is really sensitive, unlike my family) and that would create too much drama. I just hope my brother will put his foot down and say no but she kind of rules the nest especially when it comes to money.
    I'm sure she doesn't think they will need any money to actually breed b/c they wouldn't take her to the vet, the bitch would be free from her mom, and I think they might know someone to studd or maybe wouldn't think the fee would be too bad if they got thier money back when they sold the pups.
    I have actually had people driving by stop their car and ask me if I was breeding Jaxon and Tinkerbell b/c they wanted to buy a puppy from me....who does that??

6. nalabear

nalabear Super Boxer

Alot of people unfortunately. When we got Nala we had a lot of people with male boxer stop us and ask if we wanted to breed her. They were very irritated when we told them she was fixed. They just couldn't understand why we would do such a thing to a beautiful boxer when she could make us lots of money....whatever :D Then when we got Reo we get stopped alot asking if we will be breeding them cause they want pups. My dogs are my babies, not a money maker.

7. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

I have had that happen a few times also ~ when I look at them like they just grew 3 purple heads & launch into 'DO YOU KNOW how many pups r in shelters & rescues ..." speech !!
    it was so bad last summer ( I had a stunning female foster , SHE AND SAM MATCHED) that my family would not walk to the store with me anymore !! they where so tired of " THE SPEECH"

I also have had ppl get MAD that my guys are all sputered .... who does that ???

*** sigh *** some ppl ........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.