Fussy Puppy

garvinsmum

Completely Boxer Crazy
I think I have made a rod for my own back. Miss Fiona (6 months) is not particularly interested in her food. She gets a grain free kibble. She did wolf down the Purina that the breeder sent with her, but this one at 5 times the price....nope. So I've been mixing in some peanut butter or egg or fish or something, which was working, but she's now going through the bowl and just picking out the good bits and leaving the rest. Some days she's only eating the amount they say to feed at one meal. We bought a new food today (Taste of the Wild) so I'll start subbing that for the other bit by bit, but if we have the same problem, what to do? She is on the skinny side so I'm loathe to just wait her out. She's pretty stubborn so not sure quite how long she would refuse food for. She would eat eggs and peanut butter all day if she could and starts going beserk if she hears you peel an egg or open the PB jar so it's not that she has no appetite, she just doesn't want her non treat food.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I don't think there is anything wrong with adding extras to their food to make it more interesting. I'm always adding things to Allie's food.. If you don't want to be in the habit of doing that, you are going to have to tough it out. Put her food done for 20 minutes, if she doesn't eat it in 20 minutes, pick it up and save it for the next mealtime.

Good luck!

rrboxer

Completely Boxer Crazy
I think I have made a rod for my own back. Miss Fiona (6 months) is not particularly interested in her food. She gets a grain free kibble. She did wolf down the Purina that the breeder sent with her, but this one at 5 times the price....nope. So I've been mixing in some peanut butter or egg or fish or something, which was working, but she's now going through the bowl and just picking out the good bits and leaving the rest. Some days she's only eating the amount they say to feed at one meal. We bought a new food today (Taste of the Wild) so I'll start subbing that for the other bit by bit, but if we have the same problem, what to do? She is on the skinny side so I'm loathe to just wait her out. She's pretty stubborn so not sure quite how long she would refuse food for. She would eat eggs and peanut butter all day if she could and starts going beserk if she hears you peel an egg or open the PB jar so it's not that she has no appetite, she just doesn't want her non treat food.
We have the same problem with Autumn who now will be a year in September. We switched her from Purina to Fromm grain free (the breeder had her on Purina). When she was younger she wasn't eating. We had her checked by vet and she was fine. I'd put little pieces of apple in her food, or sometimes apple just to try to get her interested. Sometimes it worked and others she didn't care. We were so worried but finally I told my husband she'll eat if she is really hungry and we just left it at that. She eats when she is hungry. She weighs about 57/60 lbs.

garvinsmum

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks for the replies. I guess if I had to eat a plate of dehydrated meat every day I'd ask for something to make it a bit more exciting too! My neighbour gave me some cans of reasonable quality food that they got by accident and I've been mixing that in, alternating with salmon or eggs. That seems to get the good down most meals so I'll stick with those and see how we go.