1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny Ears

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by cristletips, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristletips

cristletips Boxer Booster

Hi, I adopted a boxer who's ears are cropped and they flop inside out, against her head, so it looks like she's wearing a headband! I've tried putting tape on the tips so they will flop down, but instantly they went back to being inside out and the weight of the tape keeps them there. that Any suggestions to make them flop back down? Shes 18 months if that makes any difference.

thanks

2. Rowdy's Dad

Rowdy's Dad Guest

When I was training Rowdy's ears, the vet had me put eyelash cement on the inside of his ears and fold them onto themselves so that they made a sort of a flattened cone. I put 1 thin layer of masking tape over the ear and trimmed the excess. It lasted about 2 days each time and after 2 weeks, his ears stayed up. Your dogs ears may have been trimmed incorrectly, but more likely is that they were not trained properly. My vet also suggested ear massages and knox gelatin in his food to stimulate cartilage growth.

3. Ram&LexisMom

Ram&LexisMom Guest

How old is the dog? It may be too late to train if they have already developed that muscle on their forhead:(

4. cristletips

cristletips Boxer Booster

Thanks Rowdy's Dad,
    That advice is great. I think i will try it. I have a feeling her original owner never even tried to train her ears.

Poor thing got bitten on the bum and bumhole this morning by an agressive German Shepard. Now I'm tending to that!

5. Rowdy's Dad

Rowdy's Dad Guest

As far as I know, I'm the only one on BW who has used this ear training method. Let me know how her ears turn out.

6. FlashyTitus

FlashyTitus Super Boxer

I tried something new today and it works great. I went to the drug store and bought some skin bond. I spread a thin layer to the inside of his ears and took a large breath rite nasal strip and stuck it to his ear. The nasal strips have just enough stiffness to hold the ears up. I was very surprised at how well it worked. Take into consideration that Titus's ears were standing except for about a half inch at the top. His ears are show cut also. If you find this helpful please email me and let me know. It worked great for me.

7. Az Boxr Lovr

Az Boxr Lovr Boxer Insane

Hi, I don't want to sound ignorant, but what is a show cropped ear? How is that different from a regualr crop?:confused:
    Cheryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.