Fresh Deer Antlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Independence

Boxer Insane
Ok, I need some encouragement/thoughts. There is a dead buck in our backwoods and I have been trying for 2 weeks to get up the nerve to cut off his antlers for Bode. I can see where he's been shot so I don't think he was sick and died. I know the DH won't have anything to do with it. I am trying to do it this evening while the carcass is still covered with snow and I'm hoping it won't smell to bad. I need to get them before the other critters do!!

Stub

Completely Boxer Crazy
DO IT! I would in a heartbeat if I had a dead buck nearby. Fresh antlers are the best! My dog chews on 10-yr-old antlers I got off a guy on CL, and they are still good (don't splinter, etc) but I can imagine they would be way better fresh. Antlers don't stink, either, or leave a mess like rawhides. And even if the deer had died of an illness it would not affect his antlers.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
Yep! Go do it! They've already been frozen (since it's in the snow) so there shouldn't be any living bugs/microbes to cause any problems.

It's not so hard. Just take a saw. But you better get out there quick. I made the mistake of leaving our moose head (harvested and in our freezer) out in the woods for a week before going to collect the spike antlers for Kisaq. And EVERYTHING was gone by the time I got back out there.

It shouldn't smell at all if it's still below freezing.

gulfcoastguy

Super Boxer
If you can borrow a better powered Sawzall that would probably be the best way to take them off. Other wise a hack saw might do. Maybe cut the tips of the points off and leave them there to minimize furniture scratching.Next year I'm going to pass the request on to my relatives or friends who dear hunt. I'll ask them for a rack that they don't think is worth mounting.

Independence

Boxer Insane
I know I just need to man up and do it. I do have a sawzall so it shouldn't take too long. It was dark when I got home tonight. Gonna try tomorrow.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I wish I had that option. All I can find in the stores anymore have been processed someway and Arabella doesn't seem to care for them. I also recently saw a video of a deer shedding its antlers. I really would like to see that and get them! Make sure Bode knows he owes you for them! lol

Independence

Boxer Insane
Pam I walk the woods behind our house ever season and have yet to find any antlers. Bode actually found the deer. I'm going to do it. Wish we had a way to contact I would mail you one for Arabella!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely, go an get them. There were some antlers around when we moved here. I gave them to the dogs. They chew on them now and then. Actually Allie is chewing on one as I type. They are pretty old, but hey don't seem to mind.

Kisaq

Super Boxer
I wish I had that option. All I can find in the stores anymore have been processed someway and Arabella doesn't seem to care for them. I also recently saw a video of a deer shedding its antlers. I really would like to see that and get them! Make sure Bode knows he owes you for them! lol

Check here for the best price/quality I know about. And no - it's not me so I think I can do this! If not, powers that be, please delete. LOL.

http://www.********.com/shop/WSPuppyeyes

Status
Not open for further replies.