1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found out puppy has demodex, help!

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Joshua, Jan 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua

Joshua Boxer Pal

Hello everyone. I just got back from the vet with bad news it seems our 18 week old Dakota(female) has demodex mites and there are places on her body where the hair is thinner. The vet took a skin scraping and found the mites. The vet gave us and antibiotic and some cream to rub on areas. I need some help and advice from someone who knows or experienced this problem before. I was thinking about how this could of happened and I remember the breeder telling us that the mother's milk didn't come down, so they bottle fed the puppies. Now it is to my understanding that the mother passes the immunity to her puppies through the milk. My question is could this be the source of the problem or not? I really feel bad for our pup, I just don't want it to get worse and last forever, please help thanks so much

2. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

All dogs have demodex mites - depressed immunity can allow them to "take over" - and depressed immunity is often caused by stress. A few spots is called "localized" demodex and is generally not a concern - when the spots become the whole body it is called "generalized" and this is a much larger concern.

There are some great posts on demodex, either in this forum or the Boxer Ring - try a search of either demodex, demodectic, or mange - lots of excellent information for you.

Julie

3. BXR MOM

BXR MOM Boxer Booster

Lucy had a bald spot on her back ever since her bad case of hives in September. The vet first didn't think it was mange b/c her hair had started to regrow. When she was spayed in December he did a skin scrap and found mites. Since she only had one spot, he gave us some cream that I applied once a day for three weeks. It did the trick. Her little spot is almost completely gone. I know one of her sister's had it too and she had to do the dips, etc.

I wouldn't be concerned as long as it is localized. I will wish you luck though in keeping her from licking the cream or from wiping it on your furniture. My vet recommended I put in on when she was eating as that would work as a good disraction.

Good Luck!

4. kt

kt Boxer Buddy

I have a lot of history with Demodex -

my 9mth old puppy at the time - now nearly two -

got it really bad - he was bald all over his back and face and legs,tummy - I talked to his breeders who said it may be a food reaction or something the vet proved differently.

Lots of skin scrapes etc.

my vet gave me Aludex a mange mite wash which I had to give Charlie twice a week for months if it gets hold then It can really difficult to get rid of and even now we still have to keep an eye out for it.

the Aludex (made by Hoechst Roussel Vet Ltd.) is a wash - you dilute the liquid in warm water, and you cover your dog best way is if they stand in it - you leave it on and don't wash it off - you have to wear protective clothing and gloves and the smell is horrible - and you can't touch your dog until they are completely dry, but after many baths and sulks it worked - unfortunately for Charlie it was the start of more serious immune problems.............

Talk to your vet about this it really does work

Word of warning - if you don't catch it soon enough it can damage the skin follicles - Charlie has been left with little bald patches on his neck - so now we can't show him - his daddy has a wonderful show history.

Don't leave it if your vet doesn't seem to overly concerned then change your vet or get a second opinion.

Sorry to sound alarming but it took a good 6-8 months to sort Charlie's skin problems.

Good luck it will get better and chances are it isn't a serious as Charlie's - not the other immune problems.

let me know how you get on

kt

5. Joshua

Joshua Boxer Pal

Thanks for all the advice

Hey thanks for the response, We took Dakota to another vet today and he sugg. we start the Mioban dips and go from there. He said our dog as generalized demodex. He said if the dips didn't so any improvement he would sugg. a oral injection of some medicine that I can't remember the name of. Kt do you have any pics of Charlie you could send me that would be great. Email me at jetpass@home.com thanks again for the info.

6. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Sheeba had this after getting over kennel cough. Our vet told us the same thing that JulieM said. All dogs are born with it and if the dog gets stressed it can take over. Our vet said the kennel cough probably brought it on. She scheduled Sheeba's first dip the next morning and she continued her dips once a week for 3 weeks. After the first dip her hair started growing back and she stopped scratching at it. It wasn't a big deal since Sheeba only had one spot about the size of a 1/2 dollar or a little larger. Good Luck and hopefully with the dips it won't take long to heal.

7. Julie Davis

Julie Davis Boxer Insane

Re: Thanks for all the advice

Joshua, my boxer had demodex at approximately 4 1/2 months (which is about the same as your Dakota). It started out very small, and the vet didn't do anything about it at the time because these things sort themselves out sometimes without medication. When it got worse, he dipped Boomer in Mitoban three times (spaced 2 weeks apart). More severe cases would call for up to 6 dips, but the 3 took care of Boomer. Dakota should do fine with her dips. Let us know how your baby does.
    Julie D.

8. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Gosh, I'm just cringing at all the dipping going on here :(

Anyway, another thing you might want to discuss is ivermectin, it's supposed to be safer and more effective than Mitaban.

I have no experience with this, not having had a dog with demodex yet, but several friends have recommended the ivermectin over the Mitaban.

Several others, of course, have recommended boosting the immune systems, which should also take care of the problem :)

Just a thought....

Julie

9. kt

kt Boxer Buddy

Hi Julie -

how is it going ?

I haven't heard of ivermectin but I will ask my vet - also what are they recommending using to boost the immune system?

I was told that there is nothing you can do it is just something that you have to live with ?

let me know as Charlies immune system is shot ! he will always have problems !

talk soon - the dips are horrid but they do work
    kt

10. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

This is why I cringe at dips - precautions when handling amitraz (the chemical in Mitaban) from http://www.agrimor.com/amitraz.htm

PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: Tightly woven long-sleeve shirt and long pants, rubber gloves, boots, face shield. Wear clean clothing each day, launder before reusing. Remove contaminated clothing immediately. Wash eyes with water. Wash other affected parts of body with soap and water. If the extent of contamination is unknown, bathe entire body thoroughly, change clothing.
    HANDLING AND STORAGE CAUTIONS: Do not store at temperatures below 0ÂșC. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or clothing. Do not breathe mist, keep container closed. Wash thoroughly after handling. Do not contaminate food or feed products.

Emergency Guidelines
    FIRE EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: Water, foam, dry powder, CO2.
    FIRST AID: Eyes, flush with water for at least 15 minutes. Get medical attention. Skin, remove contaminated clothing and wash affected area with soap and water; get medical attention. Inhalation, remove to fresh air; get medical attention. Ingestion, rinse mouth with water. Keep patient at rest.

And from http://www.peteducation.com/pharmacy/amitraz.htm

Avoid handling the dog for several days after treatment. Wash skin that has contacted the animal. Sensitive people may develop a skin irritation.

Use only in a well-ventilated area. Use gloves: do not allow skin contact with the medication.

Also, there's some good information on demodex here: http://www.vetinfo.com/dogdmite.html

A quote from that site:
    Ivermectin (Ivomec Rx) is widely used in cattle. Ivermectin is also used as a heartworm preventative (HeartGard) but probably different concentration than Ivomec.

For boosting the immune system, it depends on the dog of course and what is depressing it in the first place, but Vitamin C, echinacea, antioxidants, aloe vera juice, proper diet, and stress reduction (to name a few) are all generally good things.

Julie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.