Found a dog park with agility equipment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebD

Boxer Pal
Driving around yesterday I found a dog park with agility equipment less than 10 minutes from my house! Weave poles, tire jump, everything! I wanted to start our puppy doing this for fun when he is a little older... now I can't wait! Just need him to finish those dang puppy shots so we can go play!

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
That sounds great! Wish the dog parks here had it. But be very careful pending your pups age. Usually it's best to wait til they are about 18 mos. old before trying any stress related exercise. Keep it light and fun.....and in short spurts. Don't push the pup to keep going or do jumps. Keep those bones and ligaments healthy and growing correctly. Have fun!

whiskers

Boxer Insane
Yeah be careful doing any jumping with a puppy. Keep it all super low, so he's basically just stepping over them (it's still fun this way--my dog finds it just as exciting whether the jump is all the way on the ground, or high up lol). Also one thing that is easy to overlook is that weave poles are also not good for puppies--puts a lot of stress on their back.

Go slow, keep it fun and upbeat. Some dogs are very unsure about the equipment and some spook easily, and once they have a bad experience with something it can be VERY tough to get them over their fear. Don't push him to do something if he's scared of it. If they have a teeter there, definitely be careful with that--that one freaks out most dogs and you don't want him to spook and jump or fall off and injure himself.

If you can find an agility class in your area, I recommend it. :D Teaches you all about how to safely and correctly introduce your dog to the equipment, so you can prevent injuries and avoid any long-lasting fear. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.