Food Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennieWI

Boxer Booster
Has anyone used food tubes for dispensing treats while training? I was wondering how convenient they are and it they work well with a dog who gets a bit excited about treats in the hand (not always as gentle as he should be)

I have never used food tubes. In fact, I have never heard of them. But I definitely had had experience with dogs that are too rough with a treat in the hand. How I have managed that is to hold a treat in a closed fist and offer the fist to the dog. When they try to bite, etc., and get too rough, you firmly tell them, "Off!" (Obviously, that's just the command we use; you could use whatever.) They will keep trying to get it, and you keep telling them, "Off!" every time they make contact with your hand. When they stop touching your hand and trying to get the treat, you reward them with the treat and LOTS of praise. It has worked for all of my dogs.

JennieWI

Boxer Booster
Food tubes allow you to put stuff like canned food, cream cheese, liverwurst, etc, in the tube. When rewarding your dog, you squeeze a little bit out for him/her to lick. I've seen a couple places on-line that sell them.

marjieh

Boxer Booster
Peanut Butter Tube

Our trainer uses this kind of peanut butter - Jiff I think - that you buy at the grocery store in a tube. It's not reusable, but it is not messy and the dogs love it.

nmarlin

Boxer Buddy
My dogs would probably not do anything for me unless i had the tube on me, I think treats coming out the pocket is good, because then they dont see the treat so they have no idea if i have any on me or not.

abbey_eisma

Boxer Buddy
havent used a food tube....but we do have two kongs and they kinda seem like the same thing. Duchess loves them and we are always looking for new things to put in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.