1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Question

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Conehead, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conehead

Conehead Boxer Buddy

Is Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish a grainless food? I am looking for a high quality grainless food that has good meat content.

Thanks for any help.

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Sure, it's grainless :) And a pretty good allergy formula (they have a potato/duck formula also that is grainless).

It isn't though, one of the "new generation" types. Those tend to have a much higher meat and protein content, a bit closer to the natural (ie. raw) model.

3. Conehead

Conehead Boxer Buddy

Gmacleod, can you list a few of the "newer" grainless foods you refer to with much higher meat contents?

As always, I appreciate your input.

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Better - I can send you to information and reviews. Check the 6-star category on www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews The foods in that category are all of the new generation type.

Do note though, that they may be suitable only for dogs who've finished their skeletal growth (in the case of a boxer, that would be over about 14-18 months). It isn't certain whether or not high protein in a dry dog food can be a problem for growing pups or not, but until it is certain, it's probably more prudent to hold off feeding them till the dog has finished growing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.