1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Help!

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by sullys_mom, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sullys_mom

sullys_mom Boxer Pal

Hi there... I have a 10 month old Boxer girl. She is 45 lbs (is that small?). I have been feeding her Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food since we got her. I have been reading all of the bad posts about Eukanuba and just bought my first bag of Canadae yesterday. I had to order so it is not in yet... First I wanted to ask if I have done her harm by feeding her puppy food this long? She seems very healthy and active (despite pneumonia at 6 months). She has had some localized d-mange and now has a wart near her eye (was hoping maybe the Canadae would help her skin some?) but otherwise is very typical Boxer puppy. My other question was how to begin the new food. I have some Eukanuba left... Should I go 50/50 for awhile? Should the guidelines on the Canadae bag be followed to the letter regarding portion size (seems small...)?

Thank you so much for any input!

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Better nutrition should aid her health from an all-round perspective, and should certainly help with her recovery from mange :)

The best way to switch foods is gradually. Some dogs do just fine with cold-turkey switches, but some don't - and ending with diarrhoea because of a too-fast switch is the sort of annoyance that everyone (dog included) can live without. Switching gradually generally takes about a week to 10 days. You start out with a mix that is 75% old food and 25% new. Feed that for 2-3 days, and if there are no issues after that, then increase to a 50/50 mix. Again, a couple of days, then go to 25/75 and finally to 100% new food. If there are any tummy upsets or loose stools at any point in the progression, just hold off on increasing the amount of new food in the mix until the dog adjusts and things clear up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.