Food Alert in the News

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashisking

Boxer Insane
Thank you Julie...

I went on the WDJ site and could not find the "top10" article. I will freeley admit that I do not susbcribe to the WDJ, and have not seen what methods and feeding trials they use, you answered a question that I could not post tactfully and was "dancing around", WDJ doesn't accept advertisements so that leads me to believe they are not "being bought" by dog food companies. I agree that just looking at WDJ top 10 and picking one is a far better method than going to the local petsmart!

Jennifer

JulieM

Boxer Insane
I have posted WDJ's criteria in the past, what they look for when they choose their top foods. The top dry foods are listed in February of each year - you can purchase single back issues or articles.

Eric, I think the first part of your post was for Jennifer, not me ;) I do see more of a pro-raw sentiment lately - partially because people have been asking which is better - but I haven't seen it cross the line overall into anti-kibble. That may be due to the fact that I don't feed kibble, though!

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Re: Re: Re: Re: The basic problem with that is....

Originally posted by Eric J
Actually I would be hard pressed to concede that point. Growth Hormones in meat that is considered edible for human consumption, over used anti-biotics and so on. It might not be roadkill, but both can be hazardous to your health. It is just one is more offensive to the human psyche then the other in most cases, imo.

I do agree BARF is overall better, if you are willing, knowledgeable and able to do it. If you are getting your BARF ingredients from an organic farm with no chemical additives or pesticides, etc, then you doing the best. I just don't think buying chicken wings or such, like some kibble, you don't know how it was treated before it got to your freezer is so much better.

Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones in the raising of hogs or poultry and cattle require a shedding period before they can be slaughtered. IMO, it is very safe to say that meat considered edible for human consumption is by far cleaner than that rendered for animal consumption.

I agree that BARF overall is better--even if you aren't feeding strictly organic meat and veggies. I don't believe that educating people on the what actually goes into dog food is bashing it nor do I believe that listing the benefits of BARF is bashing it either. I think it is wise for people to be aware of the pros and cons of both methods of feeding in order to be able to make an educated decision on what works best for their animals. IMO, it's probably hard for people to stick up for kibble and feel they have a valid arguement. One truely doesn't know how kibble is processed and what goes into it no matter what that label reads. I think you may feel offended since you feed kibble and many are pointing out some negative aspects of feeding it. This may put you on the defensive, naturally. This isn't my intent or anyone's here I am sure, we are simply trying to educate on different feeding methods to give everyone the opportunity to research the most appropriate diet for their animals :)

Eric J

Boxer Insane
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The basic problem with that is....

Originally posted by Aimee
IMO, it's probably hard for people to stick up for kibble and feel they have a valid arguement. One truely doesn't know how kibble is processed and what goes into it no matter what that label reads. I think you may feel offended since you feed kibble and many are pointing out some negative aspects of feeding it. This may put you on the defensive, naturally.

Considering how much I do stick up for kibble feeding, I can tell you it is not hard to do at all. The line of one truly doesn't know what is put in the process, I find to be malarky. I have done my research and thorougly trust Canidae. Saying things can be in the food regardless of what the label reads, means next time you open a Soda, Juice, Candy or whatever, you should be scared. The same logic must apply.

Yes I am feeling offended, I thought that was clear when I pointed out all the kibble bashing I was getting tired of reading on BW as of late. The negative aspects many of them point out are a load of garbage and I have been arguing them.

The kibble I use, has human grade food, not 4d. Labels are labels, if you don't trust them, throw out what you have for human food in your house. Keep in mind in America if you say human food inspectors catch it, look at the my state of residence Wisconsin. This year alone there have been at least 3 meat recalls AFTER the fact due to E. Coli. Human Grade meat being made for people like you and me to buy for meal preparation. If you can trust labels on your food, why can't you trust it on your dog's kibble?

I have been pointing out in this thread the arguements or statements against kibble that is full of it. Keep in mind yet again my disclaimer is I am talking about high quality kibble and not some lesser kibble.

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The basic problem with that is....

Originally posted by Eric J
Considering how much I do stick up for kibble feeding, I can tell you it is not hard to do at all. The line of one truly doesn't know what is put in the process, I find to be malarky. I have done my research and thorougly trust Canidae. Saying things can be in the food regardless of what the label reads, means next time you open a Soda, Juice, Candy or whatever, you should be scared. The same logic must apply.

Let me first say that I do not question the research you have done nor the choice that you have made of what to feed Jedi. But just as you have the right to defend kibble, I have the right to defend BARF ;)

I don't agree with your line of thinking either--maybe we should agree to disagree :) Pet foods are regulated by different rules than are foods for human consumption. You cannot compare the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) established guidelines. The AAFCO's, who regulates the pet food industry, guidelines are vague enough that two dog foods could use different ingredients yet contain the same term on their labels. This is what their guidelines are, be it high quality kibble or low quality kibble

a pet food must contain each of the amounts shown on a single list of ingredients which has been declared by AAFCO as the minimum requirement of any dog or cat.

I don't find this method of governing convincing enough to believe that there are not hidden items in high quality kibble. But again, this is my personal feeling and observation. I'd be interested to know who the AAFCO works for.......that may speak volumes to their credibility.

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
I am a high quality kibble feeder, and I am proud of it. :D (I feel like I just came out of denial at a kibble anonymous group :D )
Both diets have their advantages, but I think the thing we need to ALL satisfy ourselves with is the fact that Every owner on this forum is doing the best they feel they can do with the care of their dogs. I also feel that kibble feeding has been getting somewhat of a bad deal as of late, little digs here and there in different posts. If a person asks that is one thing, but I recently read a post in the feeding forum regarding the BARF diet and a list one should not feed their dogs. Because I am interested in certain ingredients I add to her homemade treats I read the post. One member posted a one line response that yes, IMO was flaming kibble feeders. This member posted "Is Kibble Included on that List? :D ) Needless to say, I clicked off the post, once again feeling extremly defensive, but hesitated to reply.
I also posted a thread in Feeding asking if Kibble could be as nutritionally balanced as BARF and if not how to enhance it, Icame home that evening to read the replies and I have no idea what happened to that thread. It was gone, but I can only assume it became the usual kibble vs barf diet I however and Kailee lost out on what could have been valuable to us.
So Eric J although I am sure many many kibble feeding owners would love to speak up, I believe they feel it is maybe better to just stay quiet. Yes I do get defensive, but not out of guilt for the kibble I feed Kailee, my back goes up every time I have heard I am feeding her poison. I did my research, Kailee is on a no chemical holistic diet, yes it is baked which destroys enzymes, but it also destroys bacteria, so IMO one balances the other.
We need to realize that in a forum of this magnitude we are not all going to do or be the same, and that is what makes us unique and valuable to each other on here. If we could just educate each other without interogating maybe more people would be open to change. That goes for both sides kibblers and barfers.

Jean

Boxer_21

Boxer Insane
I just read this whole thread for the first time and I have learned quite a bit. I've been giving serious thought lately to doing research about BARF, but like many of you were before you began, I am scared about making the first move.

Keep in mind that I haven't started any significant research for myself yet. I know that salmonila (sp?) must not be a "big" problem with feeding BARF because there are so many of you out there that support BARF and feel 100% comfortable feeding it. Like Eric mentioned in a previous post about meat recalls, that's what makes me think that it's not a good idea to BARF. At the same time, there's so much going on with kibble and the good brands seem to going downhill frequently. It's just so overwhelming trying to get all of the facts about each.

I just want what's best for my boy. If that means sticking with kibble, then I will. If it means BARF, then maybe it's time for a change. I'm just nervous about all of the health issues (E.coli, salmonila, etc.). Perhaps it's because the meat recalls are made public all of the time where as kibble "issues" are not.

Could home cooking meals be healthy?? When he was sick last week and I made him rice for the first time, I really enjoyed actually cooking him something as apposed to just dropping his food in his dish. Cooking his meals would be very satisfying to me and I'm sure it would be for him as well. Of course, that is only if it would be good for him. If it is healthy for him, do you know of where I could find an "eating schedule"??

cashisking

Boxer Insane
AMEN JEAN!!!!!!

What you feed your dog is your choice, most people here do more research that the average bear!

Once more, I hope you guys don't think I am bashing kibble.. It was/is not my intention, "I" realise that there are quality kibbles out there... As far as the kibble issue goes, I am just trying to sort out what makes a good kibble.. I did not know there were foods out there that guarantee no 4d meats (thanks for a definition) I was also appauled to see that pheno. is present in some foods... Just look at me as someone who is curious about kibble, and treat me with the same courtesy as I would someone who is curious about BARF! It sometimes seems as if when someone asks valid questions about kibble, a certain defensive tone comes up!

Peace!
Jennifer

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by Boxer_21
Could home cooking meals be healthy?? When he was sick last week and I made him rice for the first time, I really enjoyed actually cooking him something as apposed to just dropping his food in his dish. Cooking his meals would be very satisfying to me and I'm sure it would be for him as well. Of course, that is only if it would be good for him. If it is healthy for him, do you know of where I could find an "eating schedule"??

This is not a dig at kibble feeders but an answer to a question that has been raised. My research has indicated that home cooking is better than kibble. If your comfort level is home preparing then I say go for it. A good book to check out is Dr. Pitcairn's book Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats. He does list recipes in there. The Volhard diet is another good one and Wendy Volhard has a book called The Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog. (I am actually attending her seminar in January :D ) Check out yahoo groups also as I'm sure you'll find a few lists to join. There other home preparers can address your issues more personally and offer some great starting tips and points.

This list of questions and answer may be helpful to you as well

http://www.ask.com/main/metaAnswer....sk=home+cooking+for+dogs&dt=021122203707&amt=

http://www.ask.com/main/metaAnswer....sk=home+cooking+for+dogs&dt=021122203607&amt=

I was hesitant to stray away from kibble and terrified to take my dogs nutrition into my own hands. I understand the feelings you are experiencing. After you do some research and reading, I think you will feel alot better about making a decision at that point :)

Sally

Boxer Buddy
As a usually non-posting but avid reader of BW forums, I feel the time has come to speak up and join the ranks as a kibble feeder. I will not dispute with others regarding their choice of kibble, because they surely would have done their research and are comfortable with their choice. In addition, I am not against any individual who is able to spend the time and provide a balanced diet feeding strictly the Barf Diet way, but after careful thought and consideration, it's not for me. I respect others opinions and I would wish them to respect mine. First and foremost, I believe we all truly care and would do just about anything for our boxers and other pets, whether a breeder or a pet owner. I would just like to relate our experience with our first pet boxer, Roxy, who passed to the bridge after a very enjoyable 9 years with our family. Our beloved Roxy (extremely healthy until the last 3 weeks of her life), was fed essentially the same kibble diet (a better brand at the time-not going to mention name) from pup to very near the end. She had a very sensitive stomach and no matter what we tried (different kibble, veggie/meat stews, rice, canned, etc.,) she did not tolerate well. And yes we ventured into these foods very slowly. Ultimately, she stayed on the original kibble and thrived. She did enjoy the odd treats (in minimal quantities). Great for her to be able to tolerate yogurt and cranberry juice for her UTI's. Since her time, the quality of kibble has improved greatly and I am now on the search for an adult kibble that will be well tolerated and perhaps with a more holistic approach for both our pets. Unfortunately, in anyone's or any pet's life, there are no health and longevity guarantees even despite the best care and intentions afforded to us. I am still researching but have narrowed my choices of kibble down considerably thanks to the info on earlier BW posts and the kibble websites.

Sally

Status
Not open for further replies.