Flyball or CGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
Even big dogs can do extremely well at flyball. We have a big Lab on our team that is suprisingly fast. German Shepherds, Labs, Standard Poodles, German Shorthaired Pointers, Golden Retrievers, Entlebucher Mountain Dogs, and Giant Schnauzers all run successfully in my region. NAFA has a whole division of racing called Multibreed where every dog listed on the lineup has to be of a different breed. If your Boxer ended up being reliable with even a halfway decent time, there would likely be a spot for him in a Multibreed lineup.

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
In our classes we teach every element of a complete run seperately--the run out over jumps, the box turn, and the recall over jumps. Once the dog can perform each element, we backchain them together--starting with the last element of running back to the owner and working our way backward to the first element of running down the lane away from the owner to the box.

We cover using toys as motivators and as reinforcers. Assessing and building the value of different reinforcers as well as effectively using toys/food for maximum training effect.

We cover training a solid recall and give fun homework exercises that positively reinforce the recall. We do restrained recalls in class where dogs are restrained and the handler runs away and then calls their dog. We incorporate first one jump then another and so on until the dog is taking all 4 jumps back to the handler.

We have exercises that work on the retrieve and ball-holding skills. It's no good if the dog gets the ball from the box but drops it half way back to the handler. We do retrievals for thrown balls and for "dead" non-moving balls on the flat.

In the beginner class we determine a dog's turn direction and teach a foundation exercise for the swimmer's turn on the box. Some dogs are able to move to a slant board during a beginner 6-8 week course, but most aren't ready yet. There is a huge amount of variety in the different methods to teach a swimmer's turn on the box. We have some standard exercises but our methods change depending on how the dog responds to training.

We discuss canine structure, weight, exercise and conditioning as it relates to health and performance.

In our beginner classes, we don't do a whole lot with passing skills. There is enough to work on without it. For lots of the beginner dogs, just working off-leash at the different stations presents its fair share of challenges, never mind running past dogs in opposite directions. We do practice opposing recall exercises as part of our intermediate/advanced training.

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
Well..... I missed the sign up for flyball. I was going to wait the weekend to see what was going on - and apparently it must have filled up. So CGC here we come......

please pray for us ;)

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
Gulp....we are keaving for our first cgc class in 5 minutes...as i type this rocky is standing in front of me demand barking....jeez.

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
Well....that was embarassing.

Rocky had NO concern for me AT all during last week's class. Granted it was week 1, new facility, first time he had been out in 3 weeks since he's illness - hasn't been going to daycare or anywhere as he was pretty sick there for awhile.

But he was VERY excited. He pulls me inside and is jumpin on the counter to say hi to the man behind knocking business cards down, etc. I finally put his harness on and he calms down.

Then the guy is like "that's fine, but he can't test in his harness becuase it is considered a corrective device"...LAME.

We were only working on basic stuff - sit, down, stay, heel - he did NONE of this. He just was woo-wooing at me and doing whatever I didn't want him to do. One couple had this really small dog - don't even know what the hell it was - but it was cute. Anyway, she was about 3#. Rocky got down on the ground and then rolled on his back and let the little dog sniff.The couple was like OMG HE IS SOO AWESOME - and then they were watching us the whole class laughing cuz he was sassing back.

I can only pray to God that tomorrow's class goes better. Maybe signing him up for CGC/therapy dog was a TERRIBLE idea. Maybe he will focus better tomorrow.....yikes.

I have a new foster and have been trying to work on sit/down/heel/stay even with Walter running around and he does well at home. But who knows.

Please pray for us.....I don't know if I can take that kidn of class again tomorrow.

johann

Boxer Insane
Good thoughts headed your way, can you spare some for me on Saturday? Johann has a rally obedience match that we are going to....despite absolutely no practicing or classes for 5 weeks. lolicon

Keep working with Rocky. Try his sits/downs/etc in public. Use treats to train right now, you can worry about phasing out the reward before the test (honestly, I brought very yummy treats to the test, worked with Johann and rewarded him before hand, put the treats away at the last possible second), right now you need to get him focused again.

I'm sure it was a combination of new location, nervous mom, new people and dogs, etc. This week he will be a good boy. :)

RockyCody

Completely Boxer Crazy
Kate!!!

your thoughts worked! Rocky was like a different dog this week and did amazing! The instructor was even throwing hot dog pieces and Rocky was holding his sit stay! Yipee!!!

I got there 15 minutes early and started working with him right away to get him focused before other dogs got there. TOTALLY worked.

GL tomorrow - let me know how it goes!!

johann

Boxer Insane
Kate!!!

your thoughts worked! Rocky was like a different dog this week and did amazing! The instructor was even throwing hot dog pieces and Rocky was holding his sit stay! Yipee!!!

I got there 15 minutes early and started working with him right away to get him focused before other dogs got there. TOTALLY worked.

GL tomorrow - let me know how it goes!!

So glad he was more focused and a good boy. :D

Tomorrow should be interesting, had originally planned to do off leash runs to prepare for a real trial in March....but thinking we will stick to on-leash for the match tomorrow and the trial. He had gotten to a point where we were ready to do off leash (would come back if he ran off, no demolishing courses), but the total lack of practice is making me hesitant to try again. lolicon

Status
Not open for further replies.