1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flea control

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Kira's Mom, Jul 21, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Boxer Pal

I found a flea on Kira last night. I managed to catch it and kill it. I don't have Kira on any flea control. I didn't want to put anything on her unless I had to. I've heard pros and cons for Advantage and Frontline. Does anyone use either of these? Have they had any problems? She does take interceptor for heartwood preventative.

------------------
    Kira-born 2/4/00, female, plain fawn, cropped, docked, and about to be spayed.
    Rocko- big brother to Kira, black lab, adopted at 2 years old, nuetered, born 3/2/95

2. Linda

Linda Boxer Insane

I've used both Advantage and Frontline and never had any problem with either. They work great. We don't have too big a flea problem here, so I only treat once very 3 months or so.

3. Nancy

Nancy Boxer Pal

My Vet just gave me Revolution which is supposed to take care of everything except tape worms.........fleas, heartworm, ticks et al........
    does anyone have experience with this new <wonder drug>?
    thanks
    Nancy~

------------------
    Toby, rescued black female boxer, natural ears, no tail.......dob 11/01/99

4. Linda

Linda Boxer Insane

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nancy:
    My Vet just gave me Revolution which is supposed to take care of everything except tape worms.........fleas, heartworm, ticks et al........
    does anyone have experience with this new &lt;wonder drug&gt;?
    thanks
    Nancy~
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone posted about Revolution on the old board. If I remember correctly, it wasn't fully tested, and many vets were skeptical to use it.
    Hopefully this works right. [​IMG]
    Here's the thread from the old board about fleas, ticks, Revolution, etc. http://showboxer.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001216.html

[This message has been edited by Linda (edited 07-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Linda (edited 07-22-2000).]

5. 4theLuvofBoxers

4theLuvofBoxers Boxer Pal

I have always used the Frontline TopSpot on my dogs. I have never had any problems with it, although I know that some dogs are sensitive to it. It is activated through the oil glands in the animal. I have always considered it to be magical for my pets. I, at first couldn't hardly believe the results. I mean, no fleas or ticks EVER!!! I was so surprised, but you may want to check it out, because I know someone in the other Boxer Board did have a problem with this. As for my personal opinion. I would definitely recommend the Frontline to anyone. It works amazing wonders for me!!!

------------------
    **Karen** :)

6. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

We are using revolution and it seems to be working great. My vet said it contains the same medicine as other treatments but they are just in one form versus 2. The actual medicine has been used for quite some time. He said it was completly safe.

We have not had any problems and I like that it does kill so much in one shot.

------------------
    Brutus & Amayas Mom
    Brutus 9/23/99 Flashy Fawn
    Amaya 3/22/00 Flashy Brindle

7. Tina-SCBR-NY

Tina-SCBR-NY Guest

I would also be skeptical of Revolution. I heard stories of a couple of dogs dying from this medicine. At least thats what they thought it was from. Testing is being done and if I remember correctly the company agreed to pay for an autopsy on the dogs and to have testing done to see if it was in fact the medicine. As I said it was a couple of stories I read and don't remember where, so if they were true or not I don't know.
    Anyway it was enough to scare me into not using it on my dogs or the rescues I have in my home.

------------------
    Proud momma of 3 boxer babies and 1 foster at all times:
    Dallas, F, Brindle 3/21/95
    Dakota, M, Fawn 7/10/99
    Missy, F, Brindle 8/7/99
    And 1 Second Chance Foster dog http://www.secondchanceboxer.com

[This message has been edited by Tina-SCBR-NY (edited 07-22-2000).]

8. Tooma's Mom

Tooma's Mom Guest

Well, here in Texas, nothing dies, Natural methods didn't work ie: feeding garlic, skin so soft, etc- so I think we have tried every wonder drug...my vet loves to use us at test subjects because of enviroment- Lots of land, dogs swim, multiable dogs, lots of outings, either the product works or fleafest 2000- Pills-Program, sentinal-No, maybe if 1 dog/small yard
    Frontline good but wears off a little sooner than Advantage, this is product of my choice my babies love the water in this heat,and it keeps them Flea free for 3 weeks, supose to be 4 weeks but it doesn't work that long here. In alot of climates will work for months (lucky ducks) [​IMG]
    Vet won't get Revolution, says not enough testing yet, very skeptical.?

9. Brutis gets Program and Frontline (my vet said that it holds up better in water I have not used advantage so I can not say if one is better than the other). Bama gets Sentinel (prevents heatworm and flea population) and Frontline. Bama gets the Sentinel for 5 more months then we will switch to just the program. Bama being from GA the vets thought he should be on a heartworm preventative for 6 months. We do not have a bad flea problem here, and I want to keep it that way, I would hate for them to have to suffer. They also get brewer's yeast with garlic. I think that I am well prepared for fleas.

------------------
    Colleen
    Brutis, Neuterd male, Fawn w/black mask, dob 12/31/98, his last Mommy felt she did not have enough time to spend w/him.
    Bama, netuered male, fawn, dob sometime in 1998, from the Alabama Rescue and Adoption Inc.

10. nanabear

nanabear Banned

We have a cat and a dog, and I have decided the cat is the culprit - she is the one *who starts it!* We used to use Program which does not *Kill* fleas, but makes them sterile or their eggs won't hatch (can't remember which.)
    But the dog used to go to a play group and was getting re-infested by other dogs. He is not going in the summer time (can't be trusted during daylight savings time not to see kids in the park and go *visiting.*)

What I am doing now is using Advantage on the cat, and nothing on the dog (I also hate using such strong stuff, if I don't have to.)

The Advantage works SO well, I just bring it out as a *big gun* if I see there is a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.