1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flashy boxers in England

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by busters mum, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. busters mum

busters mum Super Boxer

Is it just me not seeing them, or are there not many flashy boxers in England?
    Does any one agree or disagree? If you are in England and have a flashy I d love to hear about it and see a pic.

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I think there are quite a number of flashy dogs around. At the park I mostly take Henri to, there are six other boxers (that I know of) that frequent that place. 3 of them are flashy (plus Henri, but he's not English so we can't count him), two are classic and one is white.

With that said, I've seen plenty of classic dogs around the UK :) I don't believe that there is such a propensity toward flashy dogs in the show ring outside of North America (and in some places it's the opposite, they dislike much flash), so it stands to reason that you'd see more classic and less flashy or white boxers overall.

3. Lou.ise

Lou.ise Boxer Booster

Hi,
    We live in Wigan (North West) and lately there are flashy boxes eveywhere.
    When we decided to get a pup it was really difficult to find a red flashy boxer and I had to travel for 3hrs to the breeder and 3hrs back 3x once to pick, once to go and see how he was doing and one to pick him up.
    I have continued to look on The Kennel Club website(out of curiosity) and there have been loads for sale near us.

4. busters mum

busters mum Super Boxer

Thanks both for the reply.
    How I wish there were boxers at Busters parks. I think the 2 most common dogs around here are rotties and staffies. I have loads of positive reactions and feed back about Buster, but he seems to be one of an extreme few.
    The few others I have seen have been brindle or red.
    Except for one occasion driving back from Ikea I saw two seperate white boxers within 3 minutes of each other. Can you imagine the squeals coming out of my car? My kids were delighted and were going "a white boxer a white boxer" as we cruised past. But Im sure a boxer owner would understand this.!

5. HollyThe Boxer

HollyThe Boxer Boxer Buddy

Our Meggie is a flashy red, and there is another flashy red that she sees in the park, and another flashy red at her training class! Look at my gallery for some pics!

6. pipandscott

pipandscott Super Boxer

Hi our Harry is a flashy brindle, there are two boxers in his training class, one red classic, and the other is a little girl the spitting image of Harry, I am going to post pictures just as soon as I figure out how.
    The park we go to, is full of boxers, one lives just down the road from us and we normally bump into atleast one on a walk. the problem we have is nobody will let their boxers play with him, they are all walked on really short leads. His best friend is a rottie the only other owner who is happy to let them run around together.

7. Billysmum

Billysmum Boxer Insane

What's 'classic'?

Billy is red with a black mask and a small amount of white on his chest.

We hardly ever see other Boxers around now that we've moved house to rural Lincolnshire. Back in Bedfordshire there were quite a few, some flashy, some not.

Unfortunately we can't let Billy play with other dogs, because he will play nice for a minute or two and then suddenly attack the other dog for no apparent reason.

8. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Billy is classic :)

Classic (or plain) is just a term used to describe a boxer without any or much white. Flashy is used for extensive white markings, and semi-flashy for those somewhere in between. Ultra-flashy is white :D

Technically semi-flashy doesn't exist and the terms "plain" and "flashy" should describe the genes a boxer is carrying. A dog with one copy of the extreme white spotting allele (sw) gene is usually flashy, a dog with two copies is white or mostly white, and a dog without that gene is mostly solid coloured or with a small amount of white (like your Billy). But it isn't always easy to tell from looking at a dog (for example, one with white toes, chest and a small amount on the face) whether or not it carries the sw gene - it could be a lightly marked flashy dog, or a heavily marked classic one. And hence the semi-flashy category ;) A non-scientific description, but you get the general idea :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.