1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flaky skin and hair loss

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by MayaDiane, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MayaDiane

MayaDiane Boxer Pal

Maya is 6 months old and was spayed last week, however, the vet noticed that she had some dry, flaky areas with some hair loss on her back and did a skin scraping. She said that Maya did not have demodetic mange or ringworm. The skin is darker, flaky, and the hair is patchy, but does not itch. From reading other posts, it seems to be boxer alopecia, but is she is too young to have this. The vet seems to think is allergies and presribed a medicated shampoo. I have to wait until her stitches are out to use the shampoo. In the meantime, I am switching her from Costco Kirkland Super Premium to Wellness to see if that helps her. Does the skin have to itch in order for it to be allergies? Or does she just have dry skin and needs fish oil and vitamin e oil supplements. Should I have the vet do another skin scraping when I get her stitches out.

2. mcheslic

mcheslic Boxer Buddy

This is just my own personal opinion, but my 5 month old boxer has demodex mange and what you are describing is exactly what she has. Flaky skin and patches of hair loss. It doesn't bother her much. When I first started noticing it, my vet did a skin scraping in a few different spots that were starting hair loss and he found only one of the little "bugs" of all the skin scraping. If he didn't check all the spots he might not have found one at all. Her spots started spreading after the skin scraping so I am glad that we started treatment as soon as we did with them only finding one and all.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

3. RCDuck

RCDuck Boxer Pal

I think I'd have the vet do another skin scraping as well. Harvey, my 6 month old was just diagnosed with demodex about a week ago, and the symptoms sound exactly the same as you described.

Mcheslic, how are you treating your pup? My vet gave me 3 options... Standard dips, Oral Ivermectin, and Promeris. Her suggestion was to use the Promeris which is what I started... applied every 2 weeks for 6 weeks. It's been a week since the first application and Harvey's bare spots have gotten worse, but the vet said they would get worse before they got better so we'll see. It did seem like the promeris made Harvey quite lethargic for a couple of days... I hate the thought of a topical medication affecting him as much as it seemed to.

4. mcheslic

mcheslic Boxer Buddy

The treatment my vet started out with was Goodwinol ointment which did nothing. Then he switched her to a Mitoban dip. I was scared at first cause I have read stuff about it. But we've given her 4 dips by ourselves at home so far and she does fine. It does not affect her at all. Her spots are no longer getting worse. They are getting better. It is slow getting better though since it takes time for the hair to grow back in the bald spots.

Good luck!

5. MayaDiane

MayaDiane Boxer Pal

Maya has demodex mange

I took Maya to the vet on Thursday and they did another skin scraping on her and found three demodex mites in the scraping. One adult and two larvae. The vet prescribed the Promeris for her every two weeks for six weeks. She said that a puppy's immune system isn't strong enough to keep them in check and that a lot of times it resolves itself by the time they are a year old. Thanks for letting me know it seems to get worse before it gets better, or I would have started to worry. Now I am worried because she chewed up a plastic teaspoon today, one of the small clear hard plastic ones you would use for a picnic, she didn't eat much of it, but the edges are kind of sharp. I fed her some food hoping it would surround the pieces and it will come out tomorrow.

6. FreyjasMom

FreyjasMom Boxer Booster

Glad you found out about the mange...Freyjas first scraping came back negative too only for me to take her back as her symptoms worsened and find out that she did have it.

We are also on Promeris. Two more treatments, as mentioned above she does get lethargic the day after her treatment too. The hair loss seems to have stopped now though....just wtg for it to re-grow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.