1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"fixing" and stuff...

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by KotasMommie, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KotasMommie

KotasMommie Boxer Booster

When we got Kota we never fixed him because we heard that it would make them fat. We never imagined it being a problem... until now. We got jolie and I'm wondering... should we fix just Jolie (will it make her fat?) Or fix both? I heard something could happen fixing older dogs... I just don't want any accidents. I couldn't imagine raising more than two boxers!!! Well, that is until I eventually get my reverse brindle and my white.. :)

2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Absolutely get him fixed. No, they do not get fat - unless you feed them too much. lol You will be doing him a great favor getting him neutered, saving the potential of testicular cancer. The benefits to his health far outweigh the cute little sacs as an accessory. Having an in-tact male and now a female can cause some issues too - he may become aggressive when she is along while out in public - protecting HIS bitch. She most likely can become female aggressive as she OWNS her stud. So many different behaviors can arise from having an in-tact pair. It's just smart to do it.

Plus, there is no excuse for an "oopsie litter". We certainly don't need anymore boxer puppies that most likely 2/5th will end up in a shelter, where one will be euthanized.

Please neuter him and spay her as soon as she is of age.

3. KotasMommie

KotasMommie Boxer Booster

Yeah we definitely aren't having any oopsies. So its better to just go ahead and do both.. ty

4. Eleonora II

Eleonora II Boxer Buddy

Testicular cancer? How high are the chances that unfixed males get this? Buddy is not fixed either and at the age of almost 6 I think it's a bit late, isn't it? We're not used to this and in Switzerland it's not a comon thing either for all I know (unless things have dramatically changed there during my absence).

I heard from various friends - whose dogs had to undergo surgeries for a reason or another - that the anaesthesia is difficult for them to take/absorb and it'll take quite some time for them to recover from. Having no aggression problems with Buddy (except for that one incident in the dog's park) we're somehow reluctant especially also considering his age and behaviour.

On the other hand if I read now (for the 1st time) that he could get testicular cancer because of being "intact" ... I'm very uneasy with that thought!

5. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I really am not knowledgable about the testicular cancer, but others here have much more info and experience with it. Hopefully they will chime in. Do some searching on this site - I'm sure there is info on neutering and the benefits of prevention of diseases of in-tact males. Females have their own issues too!

For me, if you aren't gonna breed a dog, then speuter them at a reasonable age. It's a pro-active, preventative measure.

For an older dog.....your vet would be the best to answer if your dog is of good health for the surgery. Some dog's can't go under anaesthesia, so the neuter is life threatening and shouldn't be done.

6. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Definitely have them both fixed. Removing the sex hormones may slow down their metabolism a bit, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get fat, unless of course you keep feeding them the same amount. Reduce their portions a bit and they'll be just fine.

I would go ahead and neuter Kota as soon as possible. If you wait to do him until Jolie starts maturing and comes into season you will have problems. The last thing you want is to have two intact dogs of opposite sexes under the same roof. If you go ahead and get Kota's neuter out of the way then you don't have to worry so much about rushing Jolie's spay, you can wait for her to grow up a bit more and then spay when she's around a year old.

7. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Now that was just funny. :LOL:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.