1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fish oil how much?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by rayandsarah, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayandsarah

rayandsarah Completely Boxer Crazy

I wanted to start giving my boys fish oil. How much mg do I give of fish oil and vitamin e? Rowdy weighs 57 lbs and Capone is 62 lbs. Thanks!

2. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

For fish oil, roughly 1000mg per 10 lbs of body weight, daily. For vitamin E, I believe one 400 IU capsule every other day is sufficient.

3. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

If you're doing fish oil for nutritional purposes it's 1,000mg per 20 pounds of body weight, if you're doing it for severe allergies or medical problems then it's 1,000mg per 10 pounds.

Vitamin E is one 400 IU capsule daily.

4. rayandsarah

rayandsarah Completely Boxer Crazy

Ok thanks! So about 3,000 mg for each. It's for nutritional purposes.

5. ruca girl

ruca girl Boxer Buddy

Thanks so much! It's like you read my mind. I brought my girl to the vet yesterday for a nasty skin infection and I decided I wanted to start her on some fish oil to help relieve some of the irritation. I'm going to assume that while we're working on getting the infection under control I'll set her fish oil dose based on the 1,000mg per 10 pounds break down.

Does anybody have any suggestions on brands or types of fish oil?

6. BxrMommieNAZ

I buy mine at Costco as it's the best price. I get 400 soft gels for $9. Just use the Kirkland brand.

7. ruca girl

ruca girl Boxer Buddy

Thanks

I got a membership to Costco this weekend (split one with a friend) and found the fish oil pills. They were on sale for $6 for the 400 bottle! I am still amazed by this price. I've been giving Ruca one pill with her dinner every night. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

8. BxrMommieNAZ

That's great! Yes they run a sale on them at least once every 3 months, sometimes every other. Even at regular price it's $9 for the 400 pills which is still a great price. I would recommend, however, that you give 1,000mg per 20 pounds of body weight so for the average Boxer that would be 2-3 capsules daily. My boy is 67 pounds and typically gets 3 unless I notice him scratching more for some reason then I'll throw in an extra one for a couple of days. My GSD who is 70 pounds gets 3 per day and that's typically sufficient for him.

Good luck!

9. hmdupuis

hmdupuis Super Boxer

What are the benefits of fish oil? Is this something I should concider giving Tyson? Also, my cousins rescue boxer has some bad allergies, should I suggest she try fish oil? Sorry for all the questions, maybe I should have started a new thread. Are there specific fish oil pills for dogs or do you just give them human fish oil pills?

10. SabrinaMN

SabrinaMN Boxer Booster

I was using fish oil until our vet told me to give 2 raw eggs a week and flaxseed oil was even better than the fish oils. I haven't researched this yet to see what research is out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.