First experience with hives ... not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sriley

Completely Boxer Crazy
I purchased a new mat for my kitchen Friday evening and Chief broke out in hives because of it! He had welt marks all down the right side of his body and his eyes got all red and puffy. After a 75 mg. dose of Benedryl and removal of the mat from the house, he's back to normal. Sarge also went nuts trying to scratch at the mat like it was his worst enemy. Needless to say, the mat has since been returned to the store. Has anyone else ever had a similar experience with carpet or area rugs?

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Nope, never had any allergic reactions from carpets/rugs/upholstery. Caney has gotten hives only once (well, actually it lasted about a week) and that was from a vaccine reaction as a puppy. They sure are scary, especially the first time you see them :( Glad the boys are OK!

Did you ever find out what was in/on that mat that could have caused it?

sriley

Completely Boxer Crazy
Did you ever find out what was in/on that mat that could have caused it?

No, but the next time I'm out, I plan to re-visit the store again and have a look at the label on the mat. The only thing I was concerned with at the time was getting it out of my house, but thought afterwards that it would be nice to know what the mat is made out of so I know what to avoid in the future. I'll update once I investigate.

happycamper

Boxer Booster
Zeus has gotten hives once, and it was a real bad case. Ended up at the emergency vet at 3am with a dog that was going into shock. He had golfball sized hives across his entire body. It was very scary and poor Zeus was having such a hard time. We never did figure out what it was that caused it.

sriley

Completely Boxer Crazy
He had golfball sized hives across his entire body.

Wow! That is nasty. Poor Zeus. I'm glad he's okay. Chief's hives weren't very big. He had a small cluster of them along his right side down to his hip and one larger hive on his right shoulder. He didn't seem to be too bothered by them. Aside from rubbing his swollen eyes, he wasn't trying to itch at his hives.

Buddy, my first Boxer, never broke out in hives but he did have two bad allergic reactions while camping. We were staying at a cottage near Bancroft, Ontario and had walked him down a scenic trail. He had been bitten by a black fly and we're not sure if it was the fly bite or if it was some sort of weed/plant along the trail that he reacted to, but his entire face and throat swelled up and we had to rush him to the emergency clinic. His eyes were so swollen that he couldn't open them. It was really scary. His second allergic reaction happened while camping and wasn't as severe. We think the second reaction was linked to the foliage in the area, but we don't know for sure.

If Chief was THAT sensitive to a kitchen mat, I have this sneaky suspicion that he's going to have allergic reactions to other things (especially environmental) which makes me very leery about taking him on camping/cottage trips. Time will tell.

maxandtonka

Boxer Booster
yes too often!

Yes My white boxer Max has contact allergies and seasonal allergies! He usually breaks out in hives at least 4 times in the spring/summer months. Usually I can treat him with benadryl, however sometimes he requires steroids and benadryl from my vet. Hope Chief is ok! Sometimes a bath helps with contact allergies also.

RyanKelsey

Boxer Pal
Advice

Hey guys, Buddy is my 4th boxer and ALL of my boxers have had hives/allergic reactions, can be a very scary thing... I advise ALL boxer owners to carry benadryl with them, I have had ALL vets I have been too say its ok, when the reactions starts give them 1 pill , a lot of times that will do it.. HOWEVER if it does not do the trick it may be enough to save them.

I went camping with my first boxer TY , all of a sudden he started to have a serious reaction literally one min he was ok next his eyes were seriously swollen, I had to give him 2 Benadryl, and still take him to the vet, but once we got there she told us the only reason he was still alive was the pills I gave him.

So we always have some with us , but especially if your going somewhere with your boxer that you wont be close to a vet, Boxers are so sensitive anything can set them off

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.