Few training tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alliecatter

Boxer Pal
I am curious as to what methods work best for a few different training areas.

1. Boundary training - While Allie can be completely trusted to run off leash in my yard (I live out in a small town with an unfenced yard), Dieter won't hesitate to run his cute little butt across the road with complete disregard to any oncoming traffic. This scares the crap out of me, so I have had to use a long tie out when letting him outside. I have a decent sized yard and am wondering if anyone has any tips/methods that seem to help with boundary training. Mind you, I am not looking for a solution that will permanently keep him in my yard if I'm not out there (I don't just let them out on their own knowing I don't have a fence). But anything that would help from him immediately taking off sometimes would be nice!
Generally, he is really good with the "come" command, but sometimes chooses not to listen to that when we are outside.

2. Countertops- Is there really any way to keep boxers from jumping up on the counter if there is something good up there? I have read about putting coins in cans along the counter edge so that if they jump up and knock it down, it scares them and essentially deters them from jumping on the counters.
With Allie, I could just push stuff to the back of the counter and she couldn't get to it. Dieter, however, is quite a bit larger than Allie and has no problems reaching the back of the counter.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Gunther

Super Boxer
but sometimes chooses not to listen to that when we are outside.
Right there is the problem! :) Not good enough, that's why Boxers are # 45 or so on the doggie IQ test! What ever you want to do is not nearly as interesting as what they want to do!

Sit,Down and Stay, are the basics and "come here" should be the easiest with treats! Keep using the long leash while you work on it, the front door and the car door should be first to be trained or "proofed' as it were.

Car is the easiest to train for and with, she should stay in the car until you tell her to come out of the car. Tell her to stay, open the door if she comes out ,just pick her up, put her back in and repeat "Stay" when she waits until you release her...she gets a treat,repeat as needed!

Front door same deal but the car is easier...more control, use a closed garage if you have one ,more secure...use the tie line, while training until you have reliable repeatable recalls and stays! The front yard is always dangerous! You want her to pay more attention to you than anything else. That's what keeps them on their property!

My guys were trained to stay in the front yard but I don't live off a busy street but cars and idiots are everywhere! But even still, if I leave them in the front yard to go back in the house for a minuet! There attention is focused on the front door and what I'm doing!

I also live with cats AKA small furry creatures that move fast! My guys were trained "never" to chase the cats! Side benefit of that is... if a strange cat appears out of "nowhere"...it's of no concern to them!

Once you have Sit Stay and down solid ,the counter surfing my cure itself? If she goes for it...a harshish bad dog and Down will then be an option.

Don't know first hand I never had as an issue with any of my guys, so that's just a guess on my part.

Alliecatter

Boxer Pal
Luckily, Allie came pretty well trained! Dieter needs some work, and I often wonder about his past. He's been with three other owners before coming into my home (and he's only 1.5 years old). He has a questionable knobby scar on the top of his head and cowers if you tell him "no" then go near him. Breaks my heart wondering if he's ever been hit before.

Gunther

Super Boxer
Oh that's so sad! If he's sensitive to your ton of voice that actually can make him easier to train! Not anger or harsh tones but sheer disappointment should work!:)

I saw the tone of voice thing with my first foray into Boxerdom with Stewie my Boxer/Pit mix I shouted for him to "SIT!" And he looked at me like he was gonna cry! Last time I ever used a harsh tone with any Boxer or Boxer mix!

Did'nt know you had two? I assume Dieter is the issue how long you had him?

Kisaq

Super Boxer
Luckily, Allie came pretty well trained! Dieter needs some work, and I often wonder about his past. He's been with three other owners before coming into my home (and he's only 1.5 years old). He has a questionable knobby scar on the top of his head and cowers if you tell him "no" then go near him. Breaks my heart wondering if he's ever been hit before.

Can you change your correction word? Instead of using "No" use - "leave it" or "stop" or some other suitable command for the encounter?

If he's only 1.5, then you have plenty of time to help him settle in. :)
Thank you for adopting.

He's probably just never had much structure. Have you ever researched NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) or Learn to Earn type training? I like to call it a lifestyle rather than a training method. It can be very helpful for setting boundaries for your new guy.
As long as you are consistent. :)

As for your original questions - I agree with Gunther in that you need to train a 100% reliable recall before you let him off the long line. You can not ever let him "Not" respond to your call. Some dogs can never be fully trusted to stay within the boundaries. There's always something to entice them out of bounds. Even with a fence. Your boy, may be one of those dogs, but you'll never know it until you've spend months with him on the long line.

For the counter top - prevention is better than cure. Don't leave stuff on the counter until you've established the house rules. Sorry - but that's the way it is. :)
Boxers are a lot like training cats. They like to do what you want - but ... well... they like to do what they want too. And its hard to choose sometimes which is better. :)

Practice impulse control games (do a forum search for examples).
And NILIF will help.

Good luck!

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I just saw your thread, has a vet looked at his head? Just was curious if it is a scar of some sort or possible tumors?

Alliecatter

Boxer Pal
it's not tumors. Vet said it's just scar tissue. So lucky there! Other than food allergies he seems to be clear of any medical issues :)

Thank you very much for the advice! I will definitely have to look into that! I am new to boxer training, so I'm really appreciating the helpful tips and insight to training!

Thanks all!

dora

Boxer Booster
One idea for training the 'come' command. Learned this in a training class (taught by a trainer who teaches police dogs).

This requires two people (and it can be done on long leash if needed for safety of not running in road etc). He called it a 'restrained come'. So, what you do is, one person stands behind the dog and sort of reaches around the dog and holds its shoulders (best if dog is standing, but can be sitting). Sort of hug the dog from behind. This person does not completely hold the dog back, but sort of pretends to with a small amount of pressure. If that makes sense?

Then the other person says 'come!!' really energetically! As they say it, the person 'holding' the dog lets go. The dog runs to the person who said 'come'.

This seems to work because A) the person holding the dog can make sure the dog is paying attention to the other person before signaling to do the command, B) there is something with the restraint then release that gets most dogs to want to run C) the dog tends to start paying attention to the person saying 'come' to see when they can run

I think the person holding the dog is beneficial in keeping the dogs attention! When doing one person with long leash only, or no leash and hoping they hear you and come, it is difficult to make sure you have the dogs attention and that they hear you over distractions (squirrels, etc.)

Plus, the person holding can decide when to cue the come command based on the dog's attention level.

It really seemed to work with my girl Proxie and the other dogs in the class. Then with practice it is a conditioning/proofing and the dog hopefully runs right to you when you say 'come' in a scenario down the road where it is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.