Female/Female boxers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofeea

Boxer Pal
Hi!

I have a 1 1/2 year old female boxer and am looking to get another boxer. I am looking to rescue this time since my female boxer is very hyper and I want a playmate for her. I have been told that female/female boxers fight and are not well together. Can anyone comment on that? I live in Las Vegas and there aren't really any boxer rescue groups and the closest California ones will not adopt outside of California so my options are kind of limited if I want to adopt a boxer. Thanks.

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
I remember reading on these threads reguarding female/female and yes they do fight. I don't know for sure if they would ever get along, but I personally don't think I'd risk it. Someone with more experience in this area should chime in and help you out more.

lhsdavis

Boxer Booster
they may or may not fight, it depends upon personality. The female/female combo is highly discouraged, especially in a situation where you dont put yourself as a strong alpha leader. I do know that most boxer rescues won't approve a female adoption if you already have a female in the home. I do know there are some boxerworld members that have female/female combo and have no problems, but its enhances the chances of problems down the road....

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
The closer they are in age, the more likely they will fight. Also, boxers don't hit maturity until around 2 years old, so you've got another 6 months until you can be sure of how your girl takes to other females. There was a thread here not too long ago about two females, about a year apart in age, that were the best of friends until the youngest one hit 2 years -- then the fights broke out.

I've got two females however and they get along fine. The youngest isn't quite 2 yrs... but they have 6 years between them so the odds are good. We make it a point to spend time with each one individually. And, so far, they have never been left alone together, since Caney is still being crated when we leave the house.

Most boxer rescues that I know of won't adopt out females to homes with other female boxers, or if they do they are quite wary about it. So that's something else to think about.

Another thing -- getting a second boxer will not solve any problems you might be having with your current boxer. Of course it's good for them to have a companion, but a companion isn't a substitute for training or exercise. Getting another dog won't make her any less hyper... instead you'll just have TWO hyper dogs :eek:

Claudia807

Completely Boxer Crazy
The previous posters are correct - most rescues have that policy. I also agree that you can stack the odds in your favor by making sure there is a very significant age difference between the girls. I guess the only thing I don't agree with is that human leadership always makes a difference. In my opinion, sometimes girls just are not going to get along and there may not be much you can do to affect it. I say this after 8 1/2 years of fostering and the certitude that my leadership role in my home is not in question! :)

I had a very sweet foster dog in my home a couple years ago, before my Lucy passed away. She and Belba got along great for a couple of months. Then one day, bam! No more. We had to keep them separated thereafter. A couple years before that, we had a female-female fight that was so bad I was cleaning blood spatters for weeks. Other females passed through my home with no problems.

It's tricky because it's just very difficult to predict. I've known plenty of people who have two females who've gotten along famously for a lifetime. But I've also known plenty who've had to re-home a female because of inter-bitch aggression. You just never know for sure . . .

p.s. I thought there was a rescue in Las Vegas but when I went to look, their site was gone.

DiverDiva

Boxer Insane
Mali's prior owner surrendered her because she was fighting with his other female and Mali was less than a year old. He had her spayed when she was 10 months (maybe to see if that helped, but I don't know for sure) and gave her up 3 weeks later. The director told me that a couple days after he surrendered her, he asked if he could come to shelter and walk her because he missed her. The director told him not to come so Mali would not expect that she was going home, only to be left again. This is one example of the heartbreak a person may go through when they realize that that they need to rehome their dog.

sofeea

Boxer Pal
Thank you all for your responses. I guess I just wanted to hear different :(. And I don't want another boxer just because she's hyper, but that I do feel she needs a playmate to play with her on her level and for companionship while I'm at work. We frequent the dog park and of course she never wants to leave!

p.s. I checked into the boxer rescue in Las Vegas before I got my current boxer and unfortunately, it hasn't been around for years now.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Is getting a male dog out of the question? The most successful combinations are usually opposite genders, so you'd be stacking the odds in your favour of the two getting along by going that route.

sofeea

Boxer Pal
No, I would get a male dog - I just thought it would be best to keep all my options open since I live in an area where its difficult to adopt a full bred boxer. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.