Feeling helpless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HELENE

Boxer Insane
I received a call the other day from England telling me that my sister had fallen and broken her hip and collarbone, and that she was in hospital. She is 67 and lives alone. She lives in Christchurch, Dorset, miles away from the nearest relations. I wish the airlines had some cheap flights now like they did last year at this time. I was thinking about going over soon but what could I do? She will be in hospital for a couple of more weeks anyway, so maybe I will be able to work something out before then.

------------------
Sergeant. 6 in October. Light brindle, natural ears. Full of fun.

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
Hi Helene

Sorry to hear about your sister. There is nothing worse than being miles away when an accident or tragedy happens. My thoughts are with you. Have you thought of going on a stand by list? We have done this and have always been able to give the approx. date that we would like to fly. You usually get a cheap flight this way, as the airlines prefer to fly full than with empty seats. Sometimes you luck out and get a first class seat cheaper than coach. Although we have never done this to go to England (never been to Europe) we have done it to fly to Florida or California when family got sick. Just a thought, or perhaps go on to the internet and do some comparison shopping for flights. Sometimes they have good deals. Best of luck, and I hope your sister is okay. Keep us posted on her progress.

Jean

------------------
Jean
Buddy--Born May 4 1993
Male Fawn
Cropped Ears
Our best friend and companion

When my cousin was in coma and was dying at the age of only 21(she made the mistake of marrying a monster) we explained the situation to the airlines , not a travel agent, and we got a seat for half price. Talking straight to the airlines and explaining the situation, may help you. also Im sending my prayers to your sister.

------------------
Cindy Corl
Lacie female, brindle, natural ears,7-17-99

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
Helene, I'm sorry about your sister and hope she heals quickly. You could try to get a stand-by or 'emotional reasons' flight. My grandmother passed away early this year :( My brother lives in Melbourne which is a very long way away and he was able to get a discount flight very quickly to come up here. Apparently these are always available but the airlines do not publicise the fact. They told him they did this for many family reasons so perhaps you could work something out. Thinking of you - it is always difficult when you are so far away.

------------------
Sharon
Bella (Red&White 03.07.94) Layla (Brindle&White - 03.12.94) Ruben & Amy (Red&White littermates 15.09.98) Bo, Tess and Rebel in our hearts.
AgilityBoxer.Com

Amy Lyn

Super Boxer
Helene,

Sorry to hear about your sister. My family is all separated as well. Each of us in our own state, so I can imagine how helpless you feel. You will be in our thoughts. Hope that the above-flight ideas work for you.

------------------
Amy Lyn
Wagner (Fawn, black mask) b: 04/25/00
Clark (Fawn, black mask) b: 03-11-99 (Rainbow Bridge 05-06-00)

Robyn

Completely Boxer Crazy
My thoughts and prayers are also with you and your family.

------------------
Robyn
Cooper, 5-11-99
Red fawn, neutered male, floppy and docked,rescue
Mugzy, fawn, neutered male waiting at the bridge
Come see our beautiful boxers at www.boxerrescue.com

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Helene, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I know you can often get cheap flights for compassionate reasons. Give the airlines a call. I wish you luck.

Take care,

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

GillianF

Boxer Booster
Helene - I can understand just how helpless you feel when you are so far away. I too have family members far away and feel helpless when they need help. See you this evening.....

------------------
Ttakas - Flashy fawn (Male).
Bronte - Flashy brindle (Female).
Littermates - born May 9/97 and real clowns!!
Chester - Fawn, male. Rainbow Bridge at 10 years old in May 97.
Gypsy - Dark Brindle, Female. Rainbow Bridge at 6 years old in Aug.87

Brenda

Helene, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister's accident. I hope you will be able to work out something with the airline so that you can be by her side. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

------------------
Brenda
Boxer Baby: Harley - born 12/27/98 - adopted 1/08/2000 - docked tail/natural ears/neutered - full of pee & vinegar!

HELENE

Boxer Insane
Thank you very much for your good wishes and prayers for my sister everyone. I managed to phone the hospital and speak to her myself, she is being transferred to another hospital closer to her home today, she said that she would rather me wait a while before I went over. She had the operation on her hip and they put three pins in it, and she said that doesn't bother her as much as the collarbone. She may go home at the end of next week as she lives in a bungalow, so no stairs. One of our cousins wrote to me and said that she will go to visit her when she is home. Thank you all again, I really appreciated it. Helene.

------------------
Sergeant. 6 in October. Light brindle, natural ears. Full of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.