1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding multiple cats

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by BoxerMoments, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoxerMoments

BoxerMoments Super Boxer

Last year in November we got our first cat and in a week or two we will be getting our second one. We would have loved to have gotten another dog but there's a possibility we might have more kids in the very near future and with my history of bedrest a 2nd dog probably isn't the best idea yet.. so a second cat it is! Anyways... since we've had our cat I basically free feed him but he gets the same amount of food everyday he can just eat it when ever he wants through out the day. Now I'm not really sure how to go about feeding two because I obviously won't know who is eating what. I would like to keep doing what I'm doing now but I don't know if its going to work. Any advice or input would be great. Thanks! :)

2. Stub

Stub Completely Boxer Crazy

Everyone I know who has multiple cats just free feeds from a large bowl. The only exceptions are people whose cats, for various reasons, have to eat different foods. Those people feed 2x/day and separate the cats until they are done eating. If your cats do not have any health problems I don't see a reason to not free feed. Unless one starts to get really big or really small, of course!

3. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

I don't free feed my dogs or cats, they get fed twice a day. For the cats, I separate them into different rooms because Spanky eats faster than Macy and she would just push Macy out of the dish if she wasn't finished. If I left food out for them all day then the dogs would get into it and cat food is not good for dogs.

4. BoxerMoments

BoxerMoments Super Boxer

We keep the cats food under an end table cornered between two couches so there is no way for the dog to get it because he definitely would if it were out. I had planned on feeding our cat now two seperate feedings be he just doesn't eat a lot at one time so this is what has worked best for us and him. The thing I guess I'm most concerned with is one cat eating too much and the other too little. Although I suppose if it came to that I would just have to change to set feeding times. I guess I'll just play it by ear. We will be picking up our new little addition at the end of next week! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.