1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding 2 meals a day

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by boxer-mom, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxer-mom

boxer-mom Boxer Booster

Ever since we got Cash he has never been a breakfast or lunch dog. He only eats at night and I think that could be why he throws up sometimes. I think he eats too fast and too much all at once. We have tried feeding him in the morning but he wont eat. I am thinking about adding a bit of wet dog food to his dry kibble to get him to eat in the morning. What does everyone think?

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Yes, a bit of canned food would probably help to tempt him (and if you choose a high quality canned food, preferably without any grains or vegetables - then it's higher quality than kibble anyway, so a nice dietary addition!).

That said, it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of dogs are reluctant to eat in the mornings because of feeling a bit nauseous. Some go so far as to vomit up yellow bile regularly. And the cause is actually having an empty stomach for too long ;) Sounds wierd, doesn't it? The dog is too hungry, so he won't eat. But it's the feeling of nausea that does it. Anyway, it's possible that that's the problem (or part of it) in your guy's case. And if so, the solution is a simple one - feed three meals daily, or just give him a late night snack (even a large biscuit can be enough). It's a common problem, so it might be worth testing to see if that's Cash's issue as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.