Fat content in Food and Treats

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalabear

Super Boxer
Reo had a severe pancreatic attack this week. He is doing good now but now we need to look at fat content in whatever he eats. Vet doesn't know why he had a flare up since he has been eating the same way since we got him in February/March.

How do you evaluate the fat from the food analysis on the package?

What is a really good treat that is low in Fat? Our next door neighbor gives our dogs a treat every day. She asked first and told me what she would be giving them and we discussed whether it was ok or not because of allergies that Nala has. So as soon as Reo had his problem we talked with them about not feeding him anymore until we can find out what is going on. So i am looking for a good treat that we can give her so she can continue giving them one every day or so. It is one of the highlights of her day as well as our babies :) She is great with not giving them anything without permission.

What should I be looking for when I read the labels?

I am so confused :(

Thank you for all your input on this.

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
Personally, I'd recommend you start making your own treats (they're really easy and cheap), that way you know exactly what is in them. Or you can get dehydrated chicken jerky at Costco (if you have a membership) that is low in fat and healthy for them.

Good luck.

nalabear

Super Boxer
Personally, I'd recommend you start making your own treats (they're really easy and cheap), that way you know exactly what is in them. Or you can get dehydrated chicken jerky at Costco (if you have a membership) that is low in fat and healthy for them.

Good luck.

What a great idea on the make your own. I can do that :D Any idea on were I can get some good recipies? And the jerky, I fed those to Nala for a long time and quit. guess its time to start again :)

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
What a great idea on the make your own. I can do that :D Any idea on were I can get some good recipies? And the jerky, I fed those to Nala for a long time and quit. guess its time to start again :)

There's recipes on here in the recipe section. I know I've posted a few (and mine were gluten free since my dog can't have gluten) and cost me around $3 for a batch of 100.

You can also make your own jerky if you have a dehydrator.

Cami

Boxer Insane
Green beans will also work in a pinch! Low sodium variety.
East to offer your neighbor a small throw away container so she could keep them in the fridge and then offer up one (or two)!

Status
Not open for further replies.