1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extropic vs. Entropic eyelids

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Cindy W., Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy W.

Cindy W. Boxer Booster

I have some questions about what is correct anatomically for Boxers. Are the eyelids supposed to be entropic or extropic? I have two Boxers and they are at exact opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to their eyelids. My Parker, has very entropic eyelids (meaning the eyelids roll inward). She has never had any problems associated with this, but my vet keeps a close eye on her, because he said this can cause problems...eyelashes scratching the eye, etc. He said that if it becomes problematic, there is a simple surgery that can be done to correct the eyelid. Bear, on the other hand, has eyelids that resemble a St. Bernards, or a Newfoundland's...very extropic. They literally just sag and droop. My vet thinks that Bear is still young and that he may fill out and the droop will lessen somewhat. He wasn't as concerned about Bear's eyelids as he was Parker's. My question really is...what are a Boxer's eyelids supposed to look like? What do breeders seek out in the appearance of the eye? Please let me know, as I am very curious. Thanks a bunch...Cindy :)

2. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

The correct boxer eye should be neither entropic or ectropic!
    The eye shape should be slightly almond shaped but never squinty, and the lids should be tight in both the upper and lower, with no visable haw.
    Puppies frequently have ectropian , turned outwards and drooping, and normally this is self correcting as the pup literally grows into his face!
    Teething often contributes to this sad sack look :)

Entropian is usually considered the most worrysome as eyelashes can rub and abrade the eye surface causing no end of eye problems, tears and scarring.
    If severe, corrective surgery is advisable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.