Extremely Picky Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooper22

Boxer Booster
He is not taking any medication that would cause him stomach upset. The only thing he is taking is Flagyl. We have tried the Vitamin-B with little effect. There is nothing going on in his mouth as we have checked that very carefully and he is only 18 months old so he teeth are great. We haven't done an ultrasound, but no he isn't in pain or appears uncomfortable after he eats. In fact when he finally does he eat seems happy and content. I don't know what we will do from here. Once again he wouldn't touch any food last night or this morning. It is so frustrating to watch him not eat when he has access to so much good food. :(

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
I know River is young, so orthopedic issues aren't too likely but I heard of a dog that went off its food and the owners couldn't figure it out. Turns out the dog had an issue with its neck and shoulders and eating with its head lowered was causing pain so the dog avoided eating.

It's just a hunch really, but maybe try elevating his food bowl to see if it makes a difference. Also try softening his food (maybe even to mush) to make chewing easier.

**I'll mention the following because someone is probably going to chime in with the info anyway...according to the latest Purdue study on bloat in dogs, elevating the food and wetting the food appeared to be two contributors to an increased incidence of bloat. Anyone considering regular feeding of their dog in this manner needs to weigh the risks for themselves. However, in this case I might think an increased chance of bloat to be a relatively minimal risk compared to the dog starving itself.

ckrueger

Boxer Pal
Question. Is diamond natural extreme athlete a bad food to feed a 4 month old boxer? she seems to like more than the other food i have fed her. I mean i do have to put a teaspoon of chickin broth it for her to eat it it all. She rather play with my other dog than eat. ANyways on the bag it didnt say for puppies or for adult dogs. it just said for dogs so i didnt know. What should i do?

cooper22

Boxer Booster
I took River to a different vet for a second opinion. He ran a bunch of additional bloodwork and an EKG and couldn't really find anything wrong, but he suggested we try Panacur for the giardia rather than Flagyl since many strains of giardia are now resistant to Flagyl. I did start getting him to eat cooked chicken and potatoes so we will try this Pancur route. The only challenge with the medication is it is a powder/granule and getting that into him is tough, but maybe this will be the solution. Fingers crossed.

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
So glad you found something that he will eat!!! We once had a powdered med that we mixed with applesauce and yogurt.

I hope this works, I know it's really is distressing when you know they are not well and can't find the answer.

Sending some healing (((vibes))) and keeping you in our prayers.

chrystel

Boxer Insane
Oh I hope this is the start of some improvement!!! Keeping our fingers and paws crossed!!!

lovicon

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Uggghhhh. . . So I got River to eat for two whole days and now on day three nothing. I cooked the exact same chicken and potatoes this morning and he wouldn't even sniff it. I then tried some ground beef and rice and again nothing. I just don't get it - He eats pretty good for two to three days and then back to the hunger strike - So frustrating!!!

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
Oh no! Maybe now it's just because of the new meds. I'm guessing if he wouldn't even sniff it he was not feeling well enough to eat.

Hopefully he doesn't have much longer on the meds and he will feel better and eat for more than 2-3 days at a time:)

Sending hugs and healing (((vibes)))!

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Pasta?

So I am not sure if this is really good for dogs, but I made some pasta last night and River was really interested so I cooked some plain shells for him and mixed it with the chicken and he scarfed it down - go figure. I don't think there is much nutrition in it, but something is better than nothing I guess :) Thanks everyone for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.