Extremely Picky Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
I hear controversy all the time about feeding dogs human food. Does anyone have any input on this?

From a health and nutrition standpoint, many people will say you shouldn't feed dogs human food. I think what they are referring to is nasty, fatty left-over food like chicken skin/fat or grisly fatty bits of meat, etc. Yeah, too much of that stuff can give your dog diarreah or raise heck with their stomach so most people would do good to avoid it. However, in my house I do give those leftover greenbeans that no one will eat to the dogs, or that bit of leftover chicken breast that is too small for a sandwich but too good to throw in the trash. I think good quality leftovers are fine to feed to your dog and I will often use them as training treats or just toss in them in the dogs' bowls at their dinner time. Heck, look at the label of my dogs' food and you'll find "chicken, fish, rice, blueberries, sweet potato, peas". That sounds like "human" food to me--or perhaps I'm eating "dog" food!

From a training and behavior standpoint, many people will say you shouldn't feed human food because it will create a dog that begs for human food or steals food off the counter. I think nothing could be farther from the truth. What makes a dog a beggar or a counter-surfer is the history of reinforcement--where has he had a history of getting food? If it has been from your plate then he is going to pester you when you have a plate in your hand. If he has been given food from the counter as you prepare it then he is going to continue to beg from you as you prepare food at the counter. If he's been given the opportunity to steal stuff from the table or counter once then he is probably going to try again. Dogs are opportunistic feeders and if the opportunity is provided they will beg and steal for food. This would be the same if it was human food or if it was dog kibble. If you sat down with plate of dog food and fed your dog from it he would start hanging around you more when you have plates in your hand. It isn't so much about what food it is, it is about where the dog expects it to come from. If they expect to get it from your plate because they've gotten it there before then that's where they are going to look for it. So if you want to give your dog high-quality human food then do it, just don't do it from your plate, the table, or the counter if you don't want a dog that begs there. Instead give it to them in their food bowl at their regular dinner time or use it as training treats.

Last edited:

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Update

So I took River back to the vet yesterday and they did blood work, a fecal and exam. His blood work looked fine, but we are waiting on the results of the valley fever test. He showed some giardia in his fecal so we are trying some Flagyl for a week. Within one day of being on the Flagyl plus some Rimadyl for his hip pain (x-rays were inconclusive) he is eating much better. I don't know if this is a bandaid or really the root of his problem, but it nice to put the food down and he eats it! We shall see how it goes.

cooper22

Boxer Booster
Spoke too soon

Well we got one good meal for River and now he is back to not eating again even on medication - I seriously don't know what else to do with him. . . Uggghhhh. I worry that he will starve to death at this rate. :(

chrystel

Boxer Insane
wow.. that's a tough one...

have you tried making him work for his food? like a kong or puzzle toys?

have you tried canned food (mixed with kibbles)

you said you have 3 dogs at home... have you tried switching their bowl? (for example, after 3 minutes, change his bowl with one of the other dog?)

have you tried wetting his food and letting it become all mushy?

... i don't know, just trying to throw some ideas out there...

doofershuman

Boxer Buddy
Does he just want something new each time? Your first post said he would eat it the first time, but then have no interest. Could you try offering 1 food in the morning and then a different flavor or brand at night?

chrystel

Boxer Insane
Does he just want something new each time? Your first post said he would eat it the first time, but then have no interest. Could you try offering 1 food in the morning and then a different flavor or brand at night?

OH! good idea! maybe buy 4 smaller bag and keep rotating...

cooper22

Boxer Booster
I actually have four different bags of food open and 6 different kinds of canned food. It has now been about three weeks of really not eating and he is losing weight. He is back in the 58 lb range (should be about 70 lbs). he will only eat about once every three days. I spoke with the vet again tonight (he was there on Tuesday for lots of testing - everything was normal/negative) and she is really concerned that a dog who is just picky wouldn't starve to death and he is actually losing more weight each week. I am wondering if I should be thinking about boxer colitis? He has on and off loose stools for many, many months, but never blood or anything crazy. All of his fecals are pretty inconclusive besides giardia, but he is just kind of falling apart at age 18 months. I am nearing my wits end and wondering if would be more humane to euthanise him if we can't get to the bottom since he is literally starving himself to death in front of me no matter what food/medication I try. We have been through every dry, canned, freeze dried, raw, home cooked, etc. . . Just not sure what to do at this point.

doofershuman

Boxer Buddy
:( Poor guy!

Doofer has colitis and he wants to eat all the time...

I did a google search and one article I read says to check their teeth "Be sure to check for a bad tooth as this is often overlooked as a cause of eating issues."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1703869

Also try warming their food so the smell entices them.

packblt

Completely Boxer Crazy
When he does finally eat does it appear that he feels well or unwell? Has he had an ultrasounnd? Maybe eating actually causes him some discomfort? I don't know but that is so sad, I feel terrible for you guys:(

Would he eat boiled chicken and rice regularly? Maybe he needs something super bland. Is he on any meds regularly that could be upsetting him?

Sending hugs and prayers that something starts to work for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.