Ever notice your Boxer protect his skin sibling from the parent??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des11

Boxer Booster
Ok

Chance is 5 months old now. I think I am noticing him being protective with my kids dad. My ex husband will drop the kids off or pick them up for whatever reason and when he hugs them for an extended time, Chance will start barking and barking. When he releases our daughter Chance will run over to her and start licking her like..........as if he checking that she is OK. Am I making since?? I hope so.

Than I had male company once and we got "close" on the couch and Chance started barking and going crazy and than doing the same thing, once I am released from the hug he'll come and lick on me as if he is ensuring that I am OK.

I must say that I am flattered, but I was wondering if this more of a coincedence at his young age.

He does not threaten my ex husband and will want to be petted by him BUT only after he has released our child.

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
Confining a dog such as one does when hugging them is something that dogs do not like. They don't like feeling confined and "trapped," even if it is our way of showing affection.

It causes the dog to feel stressful and fearful and trapped.

When your dog sees your daughter or you being "confined" in that way, he also feels the same things as if it were the dog being "confined." Thus, he is wary of what is going on with his "charge" (you and your daughter) and afterwards, he is checking you and her out to see that all is ok.

I think you need to establish a better relationship with the dog. The dog obviously thinks he is in charge of the pack and it is his responsibility to protect you and the rest of the pack (your kids). This is an awesome responsibility for a young dog or any dog for that matter, in a world they cannot and will never fully understand. Therefore you need to find ways to let the dog know that YOU are in charge and YOU are the protector and that he need not feel the responsibility and can relax and just be a loving dog and companion.

To that end I suggest getting a copy of "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell. This will help you re-establish the relationship and help you to help your dog relax and not be so fearful of such things.

Good luck.

Des11

Boxer Booster
Wow

Thanks TD. You put it all in perspective for me. I thought maybe I was seeing things. He does not behave that way when I hug on the kids, becauwe I do it ALOT in front of him and I guess has gotten used to it.

As always, your advice is wonderful and I will surely follow. It sounds like this could grow into a bigger problem if I do not manage it and take contrl of it now.

Des11

Donna741

Boxer Insane
When our friends bring over their 3 year old daughter Brighid will not allow anyone to spank her ;). No matter what she is doing wrong they can't spank her if Brighid is in the house, she will step between Ashley and her parents and has even pushed Ashley out of the way once. Don't get me wrong they don't beat her and they're not violent people, but you can't even give a little swat on the bum Brighid is around. It's kind of funny to watch :LOL:.

ROXIEMOM

Boxer Pal
MY DOG ROXIE DOES MORE OR LESS THE SAME THING IF I AM ROUGHOUSING WITH MY KID'S SHE STAND'S BETWEEN US OR STARTS BARKING AND GROWLING. SHE THEN PLAYFUL NIBBLES AT ME WHEN I STOP PLAYING WITH THE KID'S AND CHECK'S THEM TO SEE IF THEY ARE OKAY AND IF THEY YELL IN THE ROOM SHE GET'S UP AND CHECK'S THEM TO SEE IF THEY ARE OKAY. IT IS REALLY CUTE THAT SHE DOES THAT.

boxersmiles

Boxer Buddy
my 2 year old does exactly the same thing when my husband plays rough with the children, she will bark and stand between them, sometimes she jumps up at my husband and pushes him backwards but she is never aggresive, however she does love to cuddle and it is sooo funny to see, she puts a paw on each shoulder then tucks her head into your neck. I think the protectivness that boxers seem to have towards children is a wonderful trait , but i can see how it could become a problem in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.